Magnum SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Magnum SRT-8 is the most extreme factory wagon.

broken valve spring

Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM
magnumnl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken valve spring

My 2006 Magnum SRT8 6.1 has a broken valve spring (cylinder no. 8). The engine has run almost 70000 miles.
Fortunately the damage happened when the engine was running idle.
I'm living in The Netherlands where only a handfull of Magnums drive around, the Dodgedealer has never heard of this problem.

That may be, but I've got the impression that these valve springs cause problems more often, also on the 5.7 engines.

My questions:
Does anyone knows more about this problem?
Was there ever a recall (in the US)?
What about the other valve springs?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by magnumnl
My 2006 Magnum SRT8 6.1 has a broken valve spring (cylinder no. 8). The engine has run almost 70000 miles.
I'm living in The Netherlands where only a handfull of Magnums drive around, the Dodgedealer has never heard of this problem.

That may be, but I've got the impression that these valve springs cause problems more often, also on the 5.7 engines.

My questions:

Thanks in advance, Paul
Paul,

There was never a recall for that issue on your vehicle. I could find no service bulletins on the issue either.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Valve springs were a HUGE issue on the '03 Hemi (5.7) but were changed to stronger ones very early in the '04 builds. Although still not the strongest in the world, unlike the '03s, you don't hear of them breaking that often.

However, it's long been the standard when doing any type of serious power adding mods (heads, cam, etc.) to the 5.7 Hemi, no matter what year engine, the upgrade to 6.1 springs, retainers and pushrods was automatic.

So I'm very surprised you snapped one.

BTW, you came out lucky. The 4.7 HO in my Grand Cherokee dropped a valve seat with 102k on the clock, only idling in the driveway and still took out the piston and both heads. Seat obliterated and ended up going up through the intake manifold and into the other head. I guess I can count myself lucky that the block came out with only one slight scratch in that cylinder wall. Small enough that a quick hone should make it right...

Old 06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
magnumnl

Hi, it turns out I have to negotiate a new engine. The damage is considerable and small debris is all around.
I am still happy this didn't happen on a German Autobahn, but reading about similar events, they happen very often when the engine is on low rpm. What could be the cause?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've havent seen any broken valve springs on the Hemi for the last few yrs working at the dealership yet. However, I've seen quite a few Hemi dropping the valve seat, most of the time is because the engine/cylinderhead overheated for whatever reason, such as low coolants.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
magnumnl
Default valve into piston head

All theories aside: An image is better than a thousand words.

Whatever seemed to initiate this (valve spring, valve seat, overheating, no lubricants) this valve is now inside the piston head of cylinder number eight. According to the mechanics, there is no other cause tnan a broken valve.

Attached Thumbnails broken valve spring-valvepiston.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
TheRealTransporter

Originally Posted by magnumnl

My questions:

Thanks in advance, Paul
Hi Paul,
I just picked up my 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 from the dealership that was diagnosed with a bad valve seat when cylinder #8 misfired 2 months ago. It took two months because there seems to be a shortage on cylinder heads for the 6.1. When the head was pulled, the Tech discovered that the valve spring was also broken. Fortunately nothing else was damaged, so the spring was replaced and new head installed.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Ramdit
Amateur

they went from a straight spring to a beehive style spring to solve the broken spring problem for excessive flex at certian rpm's

Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
baconator

i am getting ready to do valve springs on an 04 5.7 hemi... i have read to use 6.1 exhaust springs on all even intatke? is this correct? does anybody make good springs? this is goiing to be a stock set up its hole life if that matters

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken valve spring