Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Hughes Engine....incompetence and arrogance

Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Dakota89!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hughes Engine....incompetence and arrogance

Fellow Mopar guys and proud Dodge Dakota guy. Hughes Engine and especially Dave the owner, royally screwed me over, with ordering a mild cam upgrade for my 1989 Dakota convertible. Initially, I read in Dodge Forum a performance upgrade to increase torque and hp on my Dakota and the 3.9 v-6. Replace the stock cam with a upgraded performance cam from Hughes Engine or Comp Cams. Comp Cams couldn't help as to matching the thread part number but Hughes had the cam listed in there online catalog. I emailed them questions about whether it was still available and what could I expect performance wise. I was informed the cam was in stock The next day I emailed to order and was told the part number had changed and there was one week wait. I questioned the part number change in the email response and was told indeed it was for my truck's LA engine and not the Magnum engine. Ok, I asked what other components were necessary and quantities. The email told me to call with an order and pricing. Talked to Dave, the owner at length about my concern over part number changes and whether the cam was indeed for my LA motor. Yes, and that he would personally write the order and make sure it was for the LA motor. He also promised to personally inspect it prior to shipping out. All this in email confirmation. Well, the cam was sent to me three weeks later and I delivered it to the garage for installation to complete engine overhaul. Got the truck back and sounded good. Drove it home and added 450 miles before a ticking noise appeared from the top end of the engine. Took it back to the garage and machine shop and they thought the lifters sounded noisy too. I left the truck and they discovered there was no oil in the cylinder heads, dry. Tested the oil pump and was working with plenty of pressure, so tore the engine down again and found the cam was machined with no oiling provisions or holes. Hughes Engine had sent a magnum core out to be machined and not thee LA cam core. Even after my questioning and Dave's assurances they screwed up. After I contacted Dave he was like just send the cam back and he would correct the issue and at NO ADDITIONAL cost. What about the cost to rebuild the engine for the second time at a tune of $2,600.00. Dave sent me a email stating he would not be responsible for any additional costs as it was not his fault but the garage for installing it. The garage should have noticed a difference. What about Hughes Engine...they sent the wrong cam out to be machined, the information in the initial order should have stated oiling provisions, the machinist never verified wrong cam for regrind, Dave never inspected the cam prior to shipment as he personally stated he would do. Hughes Engine is a Mopar specialty engine shop and had six opportunities at different stages to catch the mistake yet failed to do so. Yet they pass the responsibility to me and the garage mechanics.? My subsequent phone calls and emails have gone unanswered except for one...which Dave told me it was not worth my time and money and he would tell me how things would go...go hire an attorney and I would never see any money from him. No ethics..no responsibility... Just incompetence and just arrogance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hughes Engine....incompetence and arrogance