Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

panicing...buying an 03? should i - need advice - help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panicing...buying an 03? should i - need advice - help

I am picking it up tomorrow - its an '03 black with 79k on the odo. Buying it at a dealer for 9900 and I am getting an extra warranty for 3 years or 40k miles from purchase for 1800 it has addl. coverage for the turbo and housing... as well. I think 12,600cash out the door with warranty is def. fair.

Thecar looks and drives clean, is stage 1, has prothane red race inserts, booger bushings and maybe a short throw, a mopar exhaust, and that is all I see. Boost in 3rd went to 14 then slowly dropped to 10 by redline. Engine had usual lump and studder at idle and ran strong. Jvc head unit and modern shift **** is only mod inside.

I have never bought a usedcar with 80 k, let alone a turbo, but i figure iwht the warranty its all good...

Does this sound Kosher to y'all or am I making a mistake?

Thanks for the advice.[/align]__________________[/align]

I have another that is an 04 with lots of work, at 11,600, with 50 k mi but i'm nervous about it having been dropped in the back on stage twos with lowered perches for a long time...and I dont know how to work some of the electronic devices in there if there is a problem and there is no warranty of course. it has rolled fenders and 18s at the wrong offset in there that rub a little on one side.

the electronics i am concerned about are:

-APEXI SAFC-II
- MSD Tach Adapter
- Zeitronix Wideband w/ LCD display and EGT probe
- Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

help!?!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 AM
VTSRT4
Rookie
Default RE: panicing...buying an 03? should i - need advice - help

Your pretty desperate for an SRT-4? Even having another SRT-4 Uh? Getting it with 79k. Wow. What plans do you have for her?
I cant wait till I pick up my SRT-4.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 AM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

no no no

I used to have a srt-4 2 years ago...trying to acqure a new one...the 03 is one im about to buy , and the 04 was another option that I think im passing on,,,unless you guys think it a mistake...

plans - 3r or other big turbo eventually -as isfor a few months to a year at least, however.

I was 2 with and support last time - i'll go further eventually this time.

ORIGINAL: VTSRT4

Your pretty desperate for an SRT-4? Even having another SRT-4 Uh? Getting it with 79k. Wow. What plans do you have for her?
I cant wait till I pick up my SRT-4.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

what's to be nervous about with those "electronics"? one is just a tach adapter, it's required for the safc to run. the safc is a fuel tuner. the other two are just gauges. i would get rid of that pos wideband though if you do get it.....

Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 PM
srt4ever
Veteran

Man, thats a lotta dough!!! I got my bone Stock 2004 with 21,000 for 12,500 out the door with only 21,000 miles on it!!!!

Check around, there has got to be something better out there! Dont just grab the first one you see, you may find a diamond in the rough down the road and want to shoot yourself...

Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Plan B
Captain

I concur, price is pretty steep if you ask me. The 04 sounds like a better deal. Only issue with that one is possibly inheriting someone else's tuning issues (seen it happen before). However, if you do plan on going big turbo, the 04 sounds like a nice start.....

Edit: Don't forget about the limited slip diff in the 04! I seem to recall you being into roadcourses, no? If so, LSD FTW!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

how is $9900 a bad deal for a 03? i know you people hate them and think that first gen's are better but come on people

Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Plan B
Captain

I dunno, $12.6k is what threw me off, but that does warranty the car up until it hits 120k miles. I'd definately comb that warrenty with a fine tooth comb and make sure it is worth it....

Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
srt4ever
Veteran

Nothing wrong with the 03's...the LSD makes only a minimal amout of difference and they both produce the same amount of power for the most part...

I just think thats a lot for those kinda miles!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 AM
AWH
Professional

I have an '03 with 105K miles. Had it for 5 years now. Replaced the tranny and clutch. Other than that, no major issues. Still love it! Try and find one that is as close to stock as possible.

Quick Reply: panicing...buying an 03? should i - need advice - help