Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

05 SRT4 - Doesn't move

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
mgannon93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 SRT4 - Doesn't move

Hi,
I'm new to Dodge cars but just picked up a 05 Neon SRT-4 that I traded for a bike. The car is NICE, the only problem? It doesn't move, not forward or backwards. It is a manual transmission. It will go into every single gear but nothing happens.

According to the kid we bought it from, he was driving it, and in third gear it just came out of gear and was like it was in neutral and it never moved again.

I am researching as much as I can on the internet trying to find similar problems and what it could be, but I was wondering if anyone had any prior experience with something like this or any links to more information that could help?

I am thinking about pulling a used transmission and trying that but I would like to rule out other options if possible before dumping too much money into this car.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 PM
peelerboy

Need a little more information here. First off, can we assume that it runs?...but just won't engage a gear and move? Does the clutch pedal have normal resistance? Does it grind when you put it in first gear?...or any gear? Did you attempt to move it in a gear other than first or reverse? What does it do when you do this?...does it just free rev like the axles are gone? More details, man! Would love to help!!

Dale

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
mgannon93

Originally Posted by peelerboy
Need a little more information here. First off, can we assume that it runs?...but just won't engage a gear and move? Does the clutch pedal have normal resistance? Does it grind when you put it in first gear?...or any gear? Did you attempt to move it in a gear other than first or reverse? What does it do when you do this?...does it just free rev like the axles are gone? More details, man! Would love to help!!

Dale
Yes car runs great, it won't engage any gears (forward and backwards) or move. You do not need to push clutch in to put it through any gear, it goes into every slot. It doesn't change idle. Clutch pedal feels normal as can be. It doesn't grind when I put it in any gear, clutch in or out. I attempted to move it in all the gears, I even took off the linkage and manually put it into gear and the tires don't spin.

When you put it in a gear and attempt to move it just revs like it is in neutral. Yes it free revs like it was in neutral.

As of now I have the front end completely jacked off the ground and in any gear you spin one tire and the other tire tries to spin, but can't. If you roll the tire very slow, they both spin but if you try to spin it too fast only one catches.

Doing some research, others suggested shift selector. We took it out and it was not broken.

The passenger axles slides in and out of the transmission very easy.

Thank you for any help!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 AM
mgannon93

I've been reaching similar problems for a few hours now.

As it's been described, there is no power to the wheels. Like the clutch won't disengage? Or the transmission won't engage the gears? It is basically stuck in neutral.

Some possibilities are input shaft and axle. If axle, I read that the speedometer will go up when in gear and you let out the clutch because the speedometer sensor is in the transaxle? The speedometer does not go up and the axle appears to be good, so I believe I can rule it out. Which makes input shaft very likely.

What if the clutch is not disengaging? Then it could be shift fork, throwout bearing, clutch...?

Any suggestions on how to start ruling things out?

Next goal is to get into the transmission and see if the throwout bearing slides off easily; if not, then the input shaft bearing needs to be replaced.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM
peelerboy

Wow!... that is a really crazy sounding situation you've got there! I'm not really well versed in FWD manual transmissions.... but I AM versed in manual RWD transmissions.

Based on everything you've said, it sounds as though the shifter is not actually putting the transmission in gear. If the clutch or pressure plate was shot, the pedal would either have a lot of resistance, or none at all. (with the clutch pedal remaining on the floor)

If the transmission were actually put into a gear, you should get SOME reaction when letting the clutch out. At the very least, some noise or vibration from the car attempting to do something. If the input shaft were sheered clean (no connection between engine and trans), the speedometer should go up with engine rev's if the trans is going into gear.

The shifter in these cars is connected to the transmission by cables. They are prone to stretching and wear, but rarely do you have a complete disconnect/failure like you're describing. Just the same, you'd do well to verify that these cables are connected on both ends. (inside the car and at the transmission)

If you follow the link below, it'll take you to a handy thread on srtforums for the removal and reinstallation of these cables.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...cables-594962/

At the very least, make sure the cables are connected on both ends and that while moving the shifter, the cables are actuating the levers on the transmission. (have someone stand over your engine compartment while you push the shifter in and out of gears)

If the levers are actually pivoting and putting the car in gear and NOT allowing the car to move... you obviously have some sort of internal transmission problem. This could include broken shifter forks. Start with the basics though, and make sure the shifter is actually moving the things it's supposed to be connected to.

Last edited by peelerboy; 07-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 AM
DrRafy

Originally Posted by mgannon93
Hi,
I'm new to Dodge cars but just picked up a 05 Neon SRT-4 that I traded for a bike. The car is NICE, the only problem? It doesn't move, not forward or backwards. It is a manual transmission. It will go into every single gear but nothing happens.

According to the kid we bought it from, he was driving it, and in third gear it just came out of gear and was like it was in neutral and it never moved again.

I am researching as much as I can on the internet trying to find similar problems and what it could be, but I was wondering if anyone had any prior experience with something like this or any links to more information that could help?

I am thinking about pulling a used transmission and trying that but I would like to rule out other options if possible before dumping too much money into this car.

Thanks!
Having same issues, what was the problem and how you fix it.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRafy
Having same issues, what was the problem and how you fix it.
That post was from 4 years ago. You're better off starting a new thread and describe your problem in detail along with listing your vehicle details and what you have done so far to it to try to fix it.

Quick Reply: 05 SRT4 - Doesn't move