Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Order to Check for Misfire Causes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:27 PM
SRT-4s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order to Check for Misfire Causes

I bought an 04 SRT-4 two days ago, and it has been running great. Today I was running it harder and longer than usual and on my way home I had a CEL come on. I ran the code on my DSP and it came back as a Cylinder 3 Misfire (Engine Code: P0303). I have read a few cases on different forums of misfires being caused by bad plugs, coil packs, injectors, intake mani gasket, and a few other things. Being that I just got the car I don't have a lot of extra money to stick in it right away so I'm hoping for an easy fix. A couple things I noticed going down my road were at idle sounding like it skipped a beat (the misfire I'm sure), and when I boosted on the deceleration I heard a fluttering noise (Boost Leak?). I am running normal boost levels (16-18 PSI) but when boosting at higher speeds it begins to cut out or flutter during acceleration. Any input would be appreciated. I'm new to these cars, and don't know where to start as far as looking for the cause of the misfire and testing for a boost leak, if anybody could list the steps or give me an idea of where to start looking that would be great. Hope it's an easy fix.

Mods: DSP, CAI, BOV w/ Spacer, 3" Exhaust, (more to come across, previous owner didn't know the car well.)

Old 05-19-2014, 11:17 PM
SRT-4s

Ordering new MSD coil pack and plug wires this weekend, we'll see if that's causing the misfire...

Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Not to expensive (coil pack) and a lifetime warranty-Do update us

Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 PM
SRT-4s

Will do, I think I'm going to go with a stock coil pack and wires for about half the price of the MSD kit. Read a lot of bad reviews on bad batches of the MSD coil packs out there, and not noticeable enough gains from running one.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Good choice Plus you save sum bux !

Quick Reply: Order to Check for Misfire Causes