Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

dress for success

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:45 PM
wordslayer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dress for success

Hey, guys and girls!

Do you know what I hate about having my car? It's the indecision of what to do next. Here is my dilema. Sometime after the first of the year, I will have a little money to blow on my car. However, I don't know what I should do next. You all, as experts, would say, "well word, what is it that you want to do next?" And me, seeking the advice of a mentor, would answer it like this:

I hate/loathe/despise the wheels/tires on my car. I've seen Amish wagons with wider wheels than my car has. When I look at the back end of my car, I hate the skinny tire look. I want wide/fat/obese/meaty/juicy tires on it. I want the car to have a fatter look. I want the tires to be wide. I want to somehow find a wheel/tire combo that will be able to handle 245 series tires. This *may* be what I want the most. Okay,,,what's the problem? Well,,,my freaking tires are still like new, so it would probably be a waste to put new tires on when I have good ones. The second problem is, I have a white car, and I am having a BRUTAL time figuring out what color of wheel to put on the car. Okay,,,,here is where I am at with the wheel choice. I want a gold/bronze wheel. What's the problem, then? Well,,,,,it's that I am afraid that I am going to look like a pimp with that color of wheel. In my mind, I think that would look really good on a white car, but I have asked around to a few people and they give me that "are you serious" kind of look. What do you all think would be a good wheel choice/color for a white car?

Second issue:

I had intended to go with a stage one and exhaust as my first upgrade. (sidenote: first upgrades change with me like the barometric pressure) Okay,,,I thought about doing that because I wanted to go to a stage 3 upgrade. However, the more I think about it, the more I am wondering how feasible it will be for me to ever get stage 3. I have a daughter who will be entering stage private college before too long, and I am thinking that will probably eliminate any chance of stage 3 happening. Sooo,,,,I'm thinking, maybe I should go with stage 2 with toys, but I wonder how much of a difference that will make. The dyno numbers and track times don't mean a lot to me, because I don't have a "feel" for how much difference that would make. If I went with stage 2 with toys, would that make a huge difference on the butt dyno? In other words, would that be better than going with a stage one with exhaust?

It's just amazing. I know that, when you do anything, you need to have a plan. Okay,,,that makes sense....get a plan. You know,,,,have a goal. But the pisser with this car is, I can't come up with a plan that remains the same. It's like I am all over the place in trying to find the right path.

The wheel choice, I think, is going to end up driving me nuts. You just can't muck up your wheel choice. Gold wheels? Am I really thinking about gold wheels???? YES....hell yes.

Time for forum riddle:

My car saw 210 mph a little over a week ago. How could this be?

Old 11-23-2005, 01:44 PM
bigham
Veteran
Default RE: dress for success

hey hey hey wait a minute what ever happened to pleasently plump

Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

ok first delema - wheels/tires. finding a set that will fit with a 245 without rubbing is going to be difficult. i would suggest being more realistic and think of going with a 225 (which definetly will not rub) or possibly a 235 which you could get away with as long as you have the right wheels. now for rims - the first major question is how much you want to spend. volk makes some amazing looking bronze rims, but they'll cost you. also, are you positive you want bronze? black looks really nice on a white car as well. so basically, what kind of money do you want to spend on a tire/rim combo?

second delema - performance. s2 does make a big difference. going from a high 13 to a low 13 on street tires will make a difference for the butt dyno. now even with s2 you'll need an exhaust. that dinky little thing kills it top end. since you're not going to be going to the track you said, what about doing s2 no toys and tune it? that's a little less money and you still get decent power. toys makes a big difference for track times, that little red button is magic.....

as for the riddle - someone blew by you doing 210. hense, you saw it!

Old 11-23-2005, 02:35 PM
MChat
Captain

I'm running 245/40R17's on 15x8 35mm offset wheels. Without rubbing. The passenger front did rub upon occasion when I had the 1" lowering springs on the front. With the stock springs they did not rub, and with the coilovers set at 1/2" lower than stock they do not rub, even with the camber set at 0 degrees.

The only problem you'll have is there's not alot of wheels available in that size with that offset with the right bolt pattern (5/100) for our cars. A 7.5" wide wheel might work, but the recommended minimum for the 245 is an 8" wheel. Or at least it is for the BFG KDW's.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:52 PM
wordslayer
Captain

McChat.....first of all, I flat out love the wheels you have on your car. What I was thinking was.......from the research that I've done, is that you have to have a 35mm offset and an 8 inch wheel. Now, where I get confused is, I have goldline springs on it, and that has lowered it both front and back 1.5 inches. Soooo,,,I don't know how that would affect it. But,,,,,you have 245's on your car, but you have a 15 inch wheel? I wonder if I could go 16 inch and get the wider wheel, but then I am wondering if I would have wheel gap. I hate the wheel gap and want to eliminate that. Damn, this is confusing.

PSI: I checked the volk wheels and they looked freaking awesome. They had a gram lite wheel in gold that looked great, but, sadly, the price was 380 or so a wheel----out of my price range. I need for the wheels to be less than 600 dollars, without the tires, if possible. You have me wondering about black, though. I wonder if that would look better than the gold. And I should have clarified, I will be going to the track some, so if I go with Stage 2, it would probably be with toys. Have to change the exhaust though, huh? Frig,,,,this is turning into a major expense. Tuning is just out of the question for me. It has to be plug and play. But, if you don't use the toys and you are just tooling around in S2, you really notice "that" big of a difference? Butt dyno is pretty important.

The riddle......nope,,,no one passed me at 210 mph. My car did see 210 though. I like the riddle.....LOL.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:42 PM
whatneon
Professional

I say go for the wheels first, I do agree that McChat's look great. I am wondering how the road manners are with the 245's, bumpsteer and wandering over crappy pa roads would be a concern for me. I'm still fighting the modding bug, 1 year down on the warranty/6 to go, I dont think I can hold out much longer.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:30 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

I think gold would look excellent. It's been done lots of times. Less pimp and more fly I think. The style is as big a choice as color and I think a five spoke while common, is still the best.
There's my 2 pennies.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:27 AM
American__Muscle
Veteran

first of all BRONZE, not gold.
My favorite bronze wheels by far are the nismo ones (five spoke) below, but they run like 550 each, so nevermind that. The others are like 600 a set and i think theyd look good too (even thought Im usually a five spoke kinda guy)
Tell me what u think

[IMG]local://upfiles/16734/E0CFCBC61E8843169D06FADA6B2FE200.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16734/F18ADEF9331A466096776D13056E5488.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2005, 08:01 AM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: wordslayer

Hey, guys and girls!

Do you know what I hate about having my car? It's the indecision of what to do next. Here is my dilema. Sometime after the first of the year, I will have a little money to blow on my car. However, I don't know what I should do next. You all, as experts, would say, "well word, what is it that you want to do next?" And me, seeking the advice of a mentor, would answer it like this:

I hate/loathe/despise the wheels/tires on my car. I've seen Amish wagons with wider wheels than my car has. When I look at the back end of my car, I hate the skinny tire look. I want wide/fat/obese/meaty/juicy tires on it. I want the car to have a fatter look. I want the tires to be wide. I want to somehow find a wheel/tire combo that will be able to handle 245 series tires. This *may* be what I want the most. Okay,,,what's the problem? Well,,,my freaking tires are still like new, so it would probably be a waste to put new tires on when I have good ones. The second problem is, I have a white car, and I am having a BRUTAL time figuring out what color of wheel to put on the car. Okay,,,,here is where I am at with the wheel choice. I want a gold/bronze wheel. What's the problem, then? Well,,,,,it's that I am afraid that I am going to look like a pimp with that color of wheel. In my mind, I think that would look really good on a white car, but I have asked around to a few people and they give me that "are you serious" kind of look. What do you all think would be a good wheel choice/color for a white car?

First off - nothing wrong with bronze on a white car. Very classy looking. Black would be my first choice, but I would also consider bronze. Now - that being said, remember the weight factor. In getting wheels for 600$, you will have only a few options in the bronze direction. Those will generally weigh more than the stock wheels, which aren't terribly heavy at 21 lbs. You will lose performance gong to a heavier wheel(somewhere around a factor of 10 times the weight difference since it is rotational mass). A black wheel will afford you more options.

Also another thing to consider would be the second option of finding a light wheel in a standard aluminum and painting it black. In that direction - ebst deal on a qualtiy wheel I can think of is 17x7 centerline storms : a 5 spoke polished aluminum wheel weighing in at 15 lbs(it is forged!, and a cumulative weight loss of 24 lbs will give you the handling difference equivalent of dropping around 200 lbs from the car), and last time I spoke to them they had the wheel on special for 129.00 a piece and I think they go for 159 regularly - you can buy them direct from centerline. I actually think the polished aluminum would look good on the white.

If you can stretch on money a little motegi traklites can be had for around 900-1000 and weigh a tick under 14 lbs(they come in flat black or graphite polished, and would look very race/purpose oriented)(if you need a source for the price let us know).

Falken Hannabi's are around 16.5 lbs and are a swept 7 spoke that look good on the car and have a decent sized polished lip(I think edgeracing had them when I was looking - but I am not positive).

Remember that the stock tires are pretty damn good in the grip department, even in a 205, other than the road noise. Tire selection is as important as wheel selection. Think about what you are looking for in the area of wet/dry/safety/performance... Goodyear f1 gs-d3's are a good choice for an all around excellent performer but are $$$$$. Michelin PS series - same story. Yokohama Advan neova's are supposed to be like glue on dry roads and decent in the wet. Toyo proxes t1-s is amazing in the wet and acceptable in the dry and a good price. Some of the Falkens can be great budget performers. BF goodrich TA/KD's are awesome in the dry, but not so hot in the wet. There are so many choices to look at - but that is a good start.

On tire size, proper upsize for this car is a 225/45-17 which will net you a -0.4% difference if you want to keep the diameter the same a 235/45 would be fine, too with only a 1% gain in rolling diameter. A 245/40 will net you a -1.4% difference, which isn't too bad and could be good for torque, but you are starting to mess with calibration at that point.

Good first mod, actually, wheels and tires make a huge difference.

Second issue:

I had intended to go with a stage one and exhaust as my first upgrade. (sidenote: first upgrades change with me like the barometric pressure) Okay,,,I thought about doing that because I wanted to go to a stage 3 upgrade. However, the more I think about it, the more I am wondering how feasible it will be for me to ever get stage 3. I have a daughter who will be entering stage private college before too long, and I am thinking that will probably eliminate any chance of stage 3 happening. Sooo,,,,I'm thinking, maybe I should go with stage 2 with toys, but I wonder how much of a difference that will make. The dyno numbers and track times don't mean a lot to me, because I don't have a "feel" for how much difference that would make. If I went with stage 2 with toys, would that make a huge difference on the butt dyno? In other words, would that be better than going with a stage one with exhaust?

Stage2 with toys makes a big difference. I have never been dissapointed in the 1400 I dropped on it. In fact, I couldn't be happier with it. Go for the toys if you do it, it is definitely worth the 500$. Like PSIChick said, that little red button is magic, you won't believe the way the car wakes up when you hit it. A mopar exhaust would be fine at this level (and at 329.00 it won't kill you.) You could also have maxxfab send you a side exit with a 3" downpipe for not too much more and get a huge reduction in backpressure along with some pretty decent gains. Exhaust can be added later, too, so starting out with s2, and then saving for the exhaust is perfectly acceptable - Can be good to start gradually, and learn to use the added power in stages.

It's just amazing. I know that, when you do anything, you need to have a plan. Okay,,,that makes sense....get a plan. You know,,,,have a goal. But the pisser with this car is, I can't come up with a plan that remains the same. It's like I am all over the place in trying to find the right path.

The wheel choice, I think, is going to end up driving me nuts. You just can't muck up your wheel choice. Gold wheels? Am I really thinking about gold wheels???? YES....hell yes.

I argee emphatically. I mulled over the choice for weeks, and even spent many hours on the clock at the office(don't tell the boss) working on it. Hardest decision I have made on this car. Finding a ultralight wheel that is strong, affordable, and good looking was quite the task. I ended up with the tracklites at a great price, and absolutely love them in the graphite on my silver car. My months of searching paid off.

One good thing about getting aftermarket wheels is you can use your stockers to mount some snows. In the 6" width - they are suited well for it.

Time for forum riddle:

My car saw 210 mph a little over a week ago. How could this be?

I thought PSIChick had it with her answer. Has it seen any time on a helicopter, or a transport? Do you have a dvd player in the car where you could see that speed in movie format? Do you have a car other than the SRT-4 that can do that type of speed?

Anyway good luck with your quest. Let us know what you find.

PS - here is a link to a good tire size calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Old 11-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

I've seen gold 5 spoke centers with polished silver lips that would look real good on white. Dont forget about the Fuzion ZRI as a tire choice. Quieter than the KDW, with price and performance that are hard to beat. Not to mention a Z rating.

You do know about the Tirerack website where you can put your car up on the screen and try any wheel they have that will fit on it don't ya? It is a very cool feature. It's tirerack.com
Even if you don't buy them, it's a great way to see what they will look like.

Quick Reply: dress for success