Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

SR20DET 240sx VS. SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SR20DET 240sx VS. SRT-4

Well you'll be my "go to" guy if I need to know. I believe in the "know thy enemy" mental strategy. The last time I went to the dragstrip (last summer) I did not see any 240's but did see a whole bunch of Eclipses, some Hondas, 2 STI's, 2 WRX's. The vast majority are American. It was funny because in the staging lanes, the eclipse guys kept jostling positions so as not to have to line up against me and instead shoved thier hero in the STI (w/mods) up to run me. He won of course since I'm all stock, but not by much.

This summer will be different.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:26 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

yeah, Ive owned three nissans and still have one. All of which were 5 speeds. But i was the most impressed w/ my sr20de, I wish I had the DET but we cant all have turbo sentras now...that would be a no-no. I have seen and worked on about 6 different nissan motors. The neatest of the bunch was the v35de out of a nissan pathfinder. While it wasnt anything to brag about the way it moved itself was quite interesting. It only had about 250-60 hp but still a sweet ride. And I believe it is similar to a maxima and 350z motor. But Nissan parts are the most expensive parts I have ever seen. My entire car was special order from japan (sentra) so it took about a week to get any parts in. ANd the mounts I ordered would have been 330 dollars a piece from nissan but I lucked out b/c the older 3.3 mounts were the same part number after I did a little research and still cost 100 dollars.[:'(] Anyhow Nissan quit referencing and not giving any part numbers or design to parts makers so they could rape future owners on working on their nissan/infiniti vehicles....BASTARDS! I also had the privelage to own a 99 nissan altima w/ the ka24de and liked the way it felt throughout the powerband. Which is why I could see it a good contender if turbo'd against a SRT-4. Oh well...hopefully I get enough tax dollars back to rebuild my sr20 after My neon turbo project. (sigh)

Old 01-29-2006, 01:52 AM
whtblrr05

it depends on what sr20 hes got... the s13, s14, or the s15. if its the s13 or s14 you got him. s15 with those slight advantages..... i think hes probably got you but not by much. i ran a sentra with a s14 sr20 from a 60mph roll he pulled till about 100 then i started to run him down but he shut down and was only like a car length up. the s13 is rated at 205hp and 203tq, s14 220hp and 203tq, s15 250hp and 203tq. redline at 8200 for all. from a dead stop youll get him with a good launch but on a roll with the s15 six speed and mods youll be in trouble. at least i think. im not sure what they weigh. funny since i have a 96 240. lol. but just try and see what happens. who knows you could just blow his doors off. good luck. let us know what happens so we know what to expect.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:40 AM
fhblake04
Professional

Actually all of the SR series engines have a 7500 RPM rev limiter. Maybe with some other things you can up to 8200, but it doesn't make power up there so it's kind of useless. I finally got with him and raced. I bogged the engine down in first...he kind of did the same...but 1-3 gear we shifted the exact same and were nose to nose. I started to pull on him in 4th but by then we backed off. I think with a better launch I would have beet him pretty good. He governs at 120MPH so eventually I would have really passed him...It definitely got the adrenalin going. He's only running 7psi by the way.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:54 AM
whtblrr05

do you know which series sr20 hes running? i love it when the race is close like that!

Old 01-29-2006, 04:18 AM
fhblake04
Professional

S13 Redtop with a blacktop head. Plus the other things as listed above.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
SRT4 N00B

Ok... the answer to this question is... he is going to win that race if he knows how to drive at all...
How do i know?? Well I happened to race my buddy Jerry's SR20DET (fully built mind you) with a disco potato, but only running like 8 psi of boost. only one word to describe the out come.... PWNED.... I mean jesus that thing was fast. But I digress its hard to beat a car that weighs less than yours that pushing 370hp to the wheels.

Good luck brother,
God speed.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:07 AM
fhblake04
Professional

Yeah the SR's are definitely an awesome motor. Easily compete with some o the finest built Evo's. In fact Nissan did have a version of this engine in an AWD car, just not over in the US. The Nissan Pulsar GTiR, and it came with a few interesting things...it came with ITB(individual throttle bodies) a T28 and I believe 440cc fuel injectors. The AWD system is also similar to the Skylines Attessa. It was big competition for the early Evo's.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 PM
WhtLightning
Professional

Honestly, no offense intended, but you sound like a die hard nissan guy. Why did you go for the srt-4? A large percentage of ppl on this forum are die hard DCX guys (big surprise), so I'm not surprised at how few know the technical engine number specifics of the dif USA and japan motors. I know it's all greek to me. I am surprised by the ones who do (in impressive detail). It just seems that if you're looking for / expecting ppl w/ in-depth nissan knowledge, this forum wouldn't be the first choice.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 AM
fhblake04
Professional

Yeah, I really like Nissan cars. Still a big fan, but the Sentra SE-R Vspec was a big disappointment. I wanted a new car, preferably 4 door and turbocharged. I looked at the Subies (not a STI)and I liked them ok. I got out of one of them and directly into the SRT-4. I was more impressed and had more fun driving it. It was a better price and insurance was cheaper. The EVO's and the STI's were a little to pricy for me at the time. I'm a pretty big DSM fan as well. I pretty much give credit to any car that is well built because the better the competition is the better the home team eventually will be. The tidbit about the Pulsar I thought would be cool. Plus Nissan is thinking about another turbo FWD/AWD car...so more possible competition is around the corner. Hearing new things never hurt ya guys and gals.

Quick Reply: SR20DET 240sx VS. SRT-4