New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM
clos1244
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Member

Hi everyone, I just joined and recently converted from Japanese cars to American ha ha. So my dad just gave me a new project car so to speak Its a 1998 Plymouth Neon Expresso 2.0L DOHC Engine, Manual transmission with only 75000 Original miles on it, it was running fine the issue is that is has a bad hydraulic lifter so I already started removing some and since i dont know exactly which one is the bad lifter that I. am just replacing all of them, So I've had Nissan's and Honda's/Acura with light mods done on them but nothing major so this time I actually want to build this car up. So as soon as I have the car running I'll start with the basic: performance wire set and spark plugs, Air Filter, I'm going to get a performance chip as well that I found online, Than work my way up to the more expensive modifications. I am still deciding on weather to turbo charge or supercharge the car. I would appreciate any input om my idea of what to do with the car, also any part recommendations or places to buy parts or people selling them would be greatly appreciated, Thank You and sorry for the long post.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If that 'performance chip' is just a two-wire 'module' that goes in the Intake Air Temp wiring, don't bother. It is snake oil, and does all of..... nothing. While in open loop, you *might* get a VERY little bit of performance boost.... at least, until the computer figures things out, then, the chip really does nothing at all. The claims they make for those are incredibly bogus, and I don't see how they can even legally advertise like that, and not get busted.

If you want some more performance, get a tuner for your car. THAT actually makes a difference.

Be sure and check out the Neon sections. Welcome to DF!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF. Please do not waste your money on one of those chips. Please.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM
clos1244

Thanks for the heads up. Another question. What do you guys think of doing the 2.4l swap? I want to do it but im having a bit of trouble finding info on it. Lots of people say use the pt one, is there a reason for that?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

On that, I don't have a clue. (I'm a truck guy.) Best bet would be to post in the Neon section, those folks will actually have information for ya.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Post any technical questions in the appropriate section for your vehicle. This section is for new member introductions only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member