New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Thanks for welcoming me

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Dave 64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for welcoming me

Hi All, thanks for making me welcome. I'm still finding my way around the site, so bear with me and I apologise in advance if I have jumped into someone else's posts.
I am hoping someone in possibly the Australian chapter can help identify a Dodge truck I visited in a mates paddock a couple of days ago. Very hard to read the compliance plates on the firewall, but I'll give it a go:-

"AT4 460/817 CAB25 770"

It has the dual 5"headlights, 750X17-5 stud wheels, a 10 bolt diff centre which bolts in from the front, 8 stud full floating axles,318 engine (not original, first one had a disaster). Cab was built in South Australia from probably CKD components?

Typical cockies (read farmers) wagon, total rustbucket but did have good running gear, IF I can pin down a build year date. I am interested in the transmission, the owner wants to keep the engine for an industrial tree chipper. Trouble is, the NP number tag is missing, only have casting numbers to work off.
I am reasonably sure in saying it is the common 4 speed Dodge NP435, a 9 or 10" handbrake assembly on the output side, a hydraulic clutch set up on the right hand side (under drivers feet for RHD Oz truck), a six bolt PTO plate also on the same R/H side.

It has the following casting number on the LEFT hand side of the box in raised letters, "C-97247" but just in front of the "C" it looks what could be the letter "D" punched into a flat spot on the case. Could that possibly designate the ratio?

On the opposite side, above the PTO plate, has the same "C-97247" again in raised letters, but an additional line underneath of "2 NP".

If I can positively identify the year and model of the truck, it MAY go a long way to identifying the transmission and exactly what ratios it is running.

Again, and this is only guessing, I reckon with that combination of running gear and running on 750X17 tyres, that it would probably be rated at around the 4 ton mark? Did they ever actually make a "475"?

Thanks for any help, Dave 64

Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Can you post the VIN number? Pic of the truck?

Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 AM
Dave 64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Unfortunately this truck would have been too early for the VIN codes visible through the windscreen, on the dash. I am not even sure just when they became compulsory over here. The only plates decipherable are the ones already quoted. I did find a photo of another on the net, gives it's vintage as 1966. Over here Chrysler made cabs for both Dodge as well as International Harvester, *******lyly interchangeable except for minor cosmetic changes. I'll try and post the photo of the same model.
Thanks, Dave 64

Quick Reply: Thanks for welcoming me