1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My project truck... Help me save her from the crusher please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 02:08 AM
MoparPrincess4930
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My project truck... Help me save her from the crusher please!

Hi guys, about a year ago I was given a '96 Dodge Dakota, by my bf. I named her the little red hoe because she has been passed to three of us (each time in worse shape). She did great there for a little while, and now she's having a few issues... Seeing as he hates dodges and I swear by them, he won't help me at all on the problem he has given me. I've always helped work on every vehicle I get a chance to help with (not just little things but some big projects), so ive gotten a few of the issues with her figured out. But there are so many "dead" plugs, wires, and sensors in the truck so I don't know where to begin checking on some things. I absolutely love this truck and he wants to crush her... I won't stand for it, we've bonded and it's actually been my get away from everything, a good place to focus my energy to and keep me from having a blow out because of stress. I've poured more blood, sweat, and tears into this truck than I ever have anything else, and I will fix her, by myself... I just need a little advice...
She has a broken motor mount, which I have temporarily fixed so that she won't shift too far till I can get a good set of replacements found. But right now she doesn't want to stay started and acts like she's either missing or isn't getting enough fuel. So far ive had to replace the clutch, cam sensor, both break calipers break hoses, and then the usual maintenance so she's in better shape than when I got her. she has a brand New fuel pump and the filters have been replaced, so those aren't the problem, I put a New starter on her in November, and spark plugs and wires have been changed so this isn't the issue either. I put it on my friends diagnostic machine and no codes come back so I'm at a loss. Anyone got any suggestions? Please help me save my baby!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Moved to the correct section. If I understand, your issue is it won't stay running and when it is running it misses? How's the fuel pressure? Replaced the fuel filter yet? Also check for vacuum leaks. More help will follow but there's a couple things to check since you state it acts like it's starving for fuel.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

As long as you have the money you can keep it going. I know its only a 4cyl but the motor mount is pretty important. I'd fix that first to make sure the motor moving/twisting or being out of alignment isn't causing problems. Take a look at the FAQ page it has an awful lot of the common failure problems listed and the code section explains how you get get the codes without a reader by using the key and watching the Chk Egn light. Get yourself a Factory Service Manual (FSM) you can get them on ebay. There is a 96 FSM on the FAQ page if you can get it to download you're golden.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-06-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Here is a link for the key dance, You can read any codes it may have with out a scanner. Remember that you will get a 55 code at the end so that's normal.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

May want to clean the throttle body and iac. What condition is the battery in? A weak battery can cause idle issues.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 PM
MoparPrincess4930

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to the forum. Moved to the correct section. If I understand, your issue is it won't stay running and when it is running it misses? How's the fuel pressure? Replaced the fuel filter yet? Also check for vacuum leaks. More help will follow but there's a couple things to check since you state it acts like it's starving for fuel.
Her fuel filters were changed when her pump was, I have always done that together.
As far as checking the pressure, how do I do that?...
I'm still learning how to do some things I've never had to do... Bear with me

Old 05-06-2016, 05:17 PM
MoparPrincess4930

Originally Posted by Moparite
Here is a link for the key dance, You can read any codes it may have with out a scanner. Remember that you will get a 55 code at the end so that's normal.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

May want to clean the throttle body and iac. What condition is the battery in? A weak battery can cause idle issues.
I bought a New battery and changed my terminals about 6 months ago.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:05 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparPrincess4930
As far as checking the pressure, how do I do that?...
There should be a schraeder valve on the fuel rail. That is where you attach the gauge.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Some came with plastic fuel rails and they didn't have a valve. You have a 96 so it should be metal, There is a cap that you need to remove before you see the actual valve. Then just screw on the pressure gauge. You may want to wrap a rag around it to catch any fuel that may come out in the process.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:54 PM
MoparPrincess4930

Okay I'll do that in the morning now that I know how to do it. Also I ran diagnostics on her again today And the code popped up for her power steering pressure sensor. Could that be any link to what's going on? I also got to looking and she has no air filter (last time I let him touch this baby, I think he's intentionally trying to blow her up) God knows how long she's ran without one. What kind of problems could that potentially cause?

Old 05-07-2016, 07:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Dirty throttle body. Clean it.

Quick Reply: My project truck... Help me save her from the crusher please!