Non-Dodge Members Rides Do you have a non-Dodge that youd like to show off on the forum? This is the place to post information about your nonner!

Need help please! Mazda forum couldn't help!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM
cmares
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please! Mazda forum couldn't help!

I've been trying to get some ideas from a couple of mazda forums about a Tribute but I guess no one seems to know anything. So I'm turning to you guys, you helped me alot in the past so here we go. When my wife starts her Tribute in the morning(New England, it's cold here) it takes 3-4 tries before it starts. The rpm's rev up to about 3000 then comes back down and idles very rough almost to the point of stalling. Driving is fine and after it warms up it idles fine, but still takes a few tries to start. Anyone have any thoughts about this.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW a Mazda Tribute is basically the same thing as a Ford Escape.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Flue
Veteran

Do ya choke it before starting? Mash the pedal to the floor for a couple of seconds and then start? My 94 Saturn won't start worth a crap on these cold a$$ mornings with out being choked. Course, it's an old a$$ car and I've no idea how old the tribute is. The snowblower is even harder to start with out being choked when it's -1 out. hehehe

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
DM6156

I'm not familar enough about mazdas. so a few questions. does it have a fuel filter? is it maf or map based?

you didn't mention what year, how many miles and what oil you're using?

As far as the hard starting issue:

- Does it only happy after sitting for long periods of time (over night, while at work, etc)?

- Does it happen in all weather conditions, or just when cold? is this new issue that just happened this winter?

Could be fuel issue, not holding pressure and fuel is leaking back into tank. cranking a few times is what primes it to get vehicle running.

The rough idle:

- could be caused by iac
- thick oil (wrong oil type for conditions).

- Dan M

Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 AM
cmares
Rookie

The Tribute ia a 2001. It has a fuel filter, I changed it. I believe it is MAF. The hard starting happens in all weather conditions. Usually happens after it has been sitting for a while(usually an hour or longer). If I'm at the market or something, when I come out and start it it's fine. The rough idle only happens when it's cold. When it's idling rough there is a strong smell of gas. It give a #3 cylinder code on the engine light. I've changed the spark plugs and swapped the coil pack with one in the front and it still gives the #3 cylinder. Could that be the intake gaskets?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Randy_W
Professional

Check your coolant temp sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help please! Mazda forum couldn't help!