The new Camaro has hit the streets hard

Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like all muscle cars, especially the pony cars. My first true race car (that I sunk most all of my money in, lol) was a 500+ hp 67 Camaro. It had everything, 3/4 race roller, tunnel ram n two 4's, Lenco 5 speed crash box, Lakewood bell housing, blow proof drive cage, Dana 60 4.56 with welded spider gears, and then some. I built the crashbox by removing some teeth off the syncronisers, and I welded the spider gears myself as a way saving $ I never had. My wife broke an axle while driving slow around a turn with 21" Race Master slicks on it (destroyed the 1/4 panel), and it sat under my carport till I tired of it. I wound up getting rid of the body, and installed the drive train into a 600+ hp 340 70 AAR Cuda. I rebuilt the engine through ED Hamburgers Direct Connection best of everything with race ground clearances, swapped out the 4.56 for 5.13's and installed Henry axles and Detroit Lockers in the Dana. I drilled out the left side lifter galley to 5/8 and installed my own 5/8 copper tubing with predrilled 1/8" oilers for the solid high lift cam. This increased lower end oil pressure along with a Milodon hv pump that I tweaked with a high pressure relief valve spring. At first run it actually swole the oil filter and blew the gasket (I buried a 110 lb gauge, scared the crap out of me!), and had to rework the pump. This was my first race car ever that effortlessly walked on two wheels. I built a lot of 12 sec + junkyard motors that lasted way past their time, 389 Goat, 340 Challenger, 383 Challenger, 440 mtr, 427 Ford motor, couple of SB Chevys, the Camaro, and last, my Cuda. I was 28 yrs old, with hordes of neighborhood people rushing to the wicked sound of the first fire up. I was so proud of this thing, and so worried about braking something, that I never did get out of third gear with it. It was so intense for me to drive, with a 10" fan (electrics were just becoming street popular), no hood on, no breather, and 8k rpms, the fan blew gushes of gas from the 1800 cfm's of blue printed 3 deuces on to my windshields (could hardly see) on my first shift to second gear. Not to mention the Lockers forcing the car to go in a dangerous direction when the slicks bit and your in the air! Yes a whopping 1800 cfm's, hehe, bought used from a Moons wrecking yard in Gretna, La who raced Mopar. Too much or not, idling at 1500 rpm's to prevent load up, it was awesome to hear and fun to play with. That was my last build, and no other car could ever take it's place in my world, no matter how fast or what make. It was the love of my life, and still is, and that's why any other car make sux to me,

Last edited by 1954Radio; 06-23-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the original 67,68 Camaros. I personally think that the new ones are ugly. My brother in-law is a all Chevy guy. Ha has owned a real 68 RS Z28 and a REAL 69 RS Z28 that I helped him restore. He also thinks the new ones are ugly. The 69 fetched 34K cash when it sold.
I am not saying it is ugly because I am Bias, I am saying it is ugly because it looks that way to me.
I owned a 71 RS (Split bumper) Camaro for a few years with a wicked 388 stroker in it. Ran 6.02 in the 1/8 mile. Street legal as well. So I have even wore the bowtie for a bit.
The one thing that GM has done right lately is the LS-X engines. They make very impressive hp numbers for cars. Not the best for torque and towing, but in a lighter weight car, they are awesome. Good power numbers and economy to boot.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vipersforsale
yeh same here in TX, lots of Challengers sitting around in the still open dealership lots. But I am seeing more Camaros than before. Used to see one in a great while now they are becoming as common as the Challengers so it wont be too long before everybody that wanted one gets one and then they will be as bad as Hondas, EVERYWHERE! AAAAAGGGHHHH!
Can't say there's anything wrong with north american cars being as common place as hondas

Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I've already taken both an RS and an SS out for a ride....and once I get everything finalized with my house purchase, I'll be picking up my 2011 Camaro RS/SS after the first of the year.

I grew up a huge fan of the 67-69 models, and still would die to have one. Since I'll most likely never get one, this new one is as close as I can get....and they are simply great to drive. I'm happy with it. It's a retro job like the Challenger, but unlike the Mustang, they actually made an effort to improve the car overall rather then build a clone.

Comparing the builds, the Camaro and Challenger at least make an effort to build performance in a affordable market. The Mustang doesnt..... for the price of a decent Mustang GT, you can get a base model Camaro with a 6spd man trans and only 11hp less......

Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The new Camaro has hit the streets UGLY.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nofrag
Can't say there's anything wrong with north american cars being as common place as hondas
of course I only jest, for camaros can never be as common as Hondas...

Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM
72combo
Champion

Well I could not find on You Tube a Challenger that could beat a Camaro, Even an SS against an SRT8 SRT lost by 2 one hundreds...now that could just be how well you get off the line. Then a regular Hemi and the whatever in the next one down for them was close too same result.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The new Camaro has hit the streets hard