The new Camaro has hit the streets hard

Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new Camaro has hit the streets hard

While GM filed for bankruptcy protection yesterday morning, you'd never know it by the activity in the Oshawa assembly plant, and on the sales floor. The Camaro has hit the streets and it has hit hard. Built in Oshawa, Ontario, the lowest range Camaro, the LS, offers a 304hp 3.6L V6 mated to a 6 speed manual transmission, all for a mere $26,995 MSRP in Canada. At the top of the pile sits a stout 2SS model(there are 2 different SS packages) which can come in at under $50,000(CDN) fully optioned. Powered by the same 426hp 6.2L sequential injected V8 which resides underhood of a Corvette, the Camaro SS is reported to be quicker down the 1/4 mile than an SRT8 challenger.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:25 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quote=Nofrag;1688921]While GM filed for bankruptcy protection yesterday morning, you'd never know it by the activity in the Oshawa assembly plant, and on the sales floor. The Camaro has hit the streets and it has hit hard. Built in Oshawa, Ontario, the lowest range Camaro, the LS, offers a 304hp 3.6L V6 mated to a 6 speed manual transmission, all for a mere $26,995 MSRP in Canada. At the top of the pile sits a stout 2SS model(there are 2 different SS packages) which can come in at under $50,000(CDN) fully optioned. Powered by the same 426hp 6.2L sequential injected V8 which resides underhood of a Corvette, the Camaro SS is reported to be quicker down the 1/4 mile than an SRT8 challenger.[/quote]
Yeah, I read all about , but to all reading this, the camaro is a true pony car that weighs much less than the challenger. Ponys weigh in around 3000 to 3500 lbs, the challenger weighs a good stout 4000+ ? Now had Chrysler built the A Body Cuda instead, and kept its weight the same or less, this Camaro would be the breakfast of Cudas hands down. It's only three or four tenths of a second faster anyway, but try it against one of the same weight, like the SS Challenger. There's no comparison, the SS would gobble up the Camaro

Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the a-body hasnt existed for 20 years...theyre not going to reincarnate an ancient platform, as it wouldnt be competitive just based on technology.

i think that youre mistaken on the weight of the camaro. the camaro is closer to 4000 than 3000. the mustang is very light, but the camaro is not. it still weighs less than the challenger, but its no where near 3000-3500lbs.

http://www.examiner.com/x-8811-Detro...-2LT-RS-Review

Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
the a-body hasnt existed for 20 years...theyre not going to reincarnate an ancient platform, as it wouldnt be competitive just based on technology.

i think that youre mistaken on the weight of the camaro. the camaro is closer to 4000 than 3000. the mustang is very light, but the camaro is not. it still weighs less than the challenger, but its no where near 3000-3500lbs.

http://www.examiner.com/x-8811-Detro...-2LT-RS-Review
Well they darn sure reincarnated the challenger, and there was talk about a Cuda by the way, besides the fact that I 'm prejudice against Chevy when it comes to Mopar I'm going to find the article I read that posted the weights and times between the three "PONY" cars, lol. Okay, one site has the Challenger at over 4100 lbs, the Stang at 600 lbs less, and the Camaro at over 300 less, I'll check some more. Popular mechanics has the 2010 Camaro running 13 flat with a 2009(mind you) Challenger running 13.3 in the 1/4. I wonder if that Challenger is de tuned like our trucks? And who knows whats in store for the 2010 Challenger, they are comparing the Camaro to our 2009 in every comparison. Case Closed

Last edited by 1954Radio; 06-11-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i do agree completely though, that the challenger needed to weigh less...i dont know what they were thinking...

Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Yeah, it should have been lighter. Also I compared the 2SS camaro and the SRT8 challenger because they are very comparable, only a few hundred pounds difference, and ONE hp apart. Also, the SRT8 is considerably more expensive, with a comparably optioned model at $46,550 US MSRP, it would be $51,412 CAD before what I call the northern markup(regardless of being made here, we pay a premium). I'd have to guess it to be around 55-60k in canada because the dodge.ca "build your own" isn't working.

Last edited by Nofrag; 06-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The GT500 Mustang weighs in at just under 4000lbs. Around 3980#.

The Cuda would be a little harder to market, since the Plymouth brand is just as extinct as the T-Rex.
The Challenger and Mustang are beautiful cars. The new Camaro is butt ugly. A very poor retro job and is not appealing at all. It will sell, because there are many (too many) Chevy guys out there. Well, where were they when they couldn't give away a 2002 Camaro. 35,000 totally built. What a joke. My dealer can't keep Challengers in stock. They have sold a buttload.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Should be noted though that it's completely out of bias that you say that though lol. I mean facts and figures have declared the better car. I love dodge, but I'm not about to tout something as a pile o'**** if it isn't. And this car certainly isn't. The retro job was well done, better than ford infact. The 2010 Camaro looks much closer to a first gen, than the mustang does to it's own. And as for it being butt ugly, that's something that could only be from bias, because a remark on looks could never be anything more than a personal statement, perspective you know.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i really dont hate the camaro. would i buy one? probably not, but i can see why its so popular.

lx, up in detroit, challengers are sitting everywhere...the dealerships who have "moved" a bunch of them have only moved them to other dealerships down south.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

yeh same here in TX, lots of Challengers sitting around in the still open dealership lots. But I am seeing more Camaros than before. Used to see one in a great while now they are becoming as common as the Challengers so it wont be too long before everybody that wanted one gets one and then they will be as bad as Hondas, EVERYWHERE! AAAAAGGGHHHH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The new Camaro has hit the streets hard