Go Back   DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

timing dodge 400 1983

Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Angry timing dodge 400 1983

doe's anyone know how to do the base timing on a 1983 dodge 400.I was told there is a wire connecter to unhook and ground and I don't know where it is.any help would be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Keeper of the Ks

Vehicle: 99 Sebring conv, 87 Aries
Bill Schnefel
Send a message via Yahoo to rare aries

I dont have the info on hand right now, I have to look it up in my trusty repair manual. What size is the engine?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Default any help would be appreciated

PARENT B;1745165]doe's anyone know how to do the base timing on a 1983 dodge 400.I was told there is a wire connecter to unhook and ground and I don't know where it is.any help would be appreciated.2.2liter 2bbl.carb,vin.'c' canadien. thank you.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Keeper of the Ks

Vehicle: 99 Sebring conv, 87 Aries
Bill Schnefel
Send a message via Yahoo to rare aries

Sorry I didnt reply sooner. I been a little busy this weekend.
Lets start with the firing order on the 2.2 & 2.5 liters the firing from left to right is 1-2-3-4 on the block and the distributor top left is 1, top right is 3, bottom left is 2, bottom right is 4.
This is verbatim from my manual:

On 1981-83 models with the 2.2L and 1986-88 models with the 2.2 & 2.5L engines the timing marks are located on the flywheel with the pointer in an access hole in the transaxel,or on the edge of the access hole with a line on the fly wheel.

(this is rare talking now...simply put look for a hole between the block and transmission it will be about 2 inces long and about 1/2 inch wide)

On 1984-85 2.2L engines the timing marks are on the timing belt cover with a notch on the front pulley. On 2.6L engines the timing marks are on a special bracket mounted on the front of the block and there is a notch in the front pulley.
A stroboscopic (dynamic) timing light MUST be used, because static lights are too inaccurate for emission controlled engines. (rare again... Any auto parts store will be able to get you a timing light. NOTE When hooking up timing light be sure its attached to the #1 plug wire and the arrow on the pick up points toward the spark plug, the light will get its power from the battery)

To check and adjust the timing:
1. Warm the engine to normal operating temperature. Shut off the engine and connect the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire, and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PEIRCE THE WIRE TO HOOK UP THE LIGHT.

2. Clean off the timing marks and mark the pulley or notch with white chalk. The timing marks can be hard to find so bump the engine with the starter or by hand using a wrench on the front pulley bolt to get it in an accessible position. Remember the marks are on the flywheel and bell housing of the 2.2 & 2.5L engines.

3. Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance at the distributor or, or at the spark advance computer vacuum on (carburated) models that have one in all years through 1987 to prevent distributor advance. The computer is located in the air intake on the drivers side fender well, with the vacuum transducer's diaphragm clearly in view on top. The vacuum line is a rubber hose connected to the metal cone shaped canister on the side of the distributor or at the top/center of the transducer diaphragm.

4. Make sure the idle screw rests against its stop. If needed open and close the throttle to make sure the linkage is not binding. Start and set the idle to 900 rpm.

5. Aim the timing light at the marks, if the timing mark on the flywheel doesn't match up with the mark, adjustments are needed.

6. To adjust, loosen the distributor hold down nut or bolt. Slowly turn the distributor by its base not the cap. Turn clockwise to advance and counter clock wise to retard.

7. Once the timing is set tighten the hold down bolt/nut. Re-check the timing. Reconnect the vacuum hose, and reset the idle speed.

I hope this helps you out, if not let me know!!

Last edited by rare aries; 07-30-2009 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Found a bunch of typos!!! Spellcheck is my friend!!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Tags
1983, 25, 400, 83, 87, aries, bellhousing, carb, dodge, idle, marks, motor, roading, setting, timing