Go Back   DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

is it possible to build a homemade EVAP smoke machine?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default is it possible to build a homemade EVAP smoke machine?

I can't afford to purchase a EVAP smoke machine they are so expensive!

I would like to know if anyone has built a home made smoke machine that will produce the correct psi and smoke

I have not found much of anything on this topic on this forum or the net.I have a halloween fog machine that I thought I could convert but not sure on how to do it,if it can be done.

I would appreciate any input on this,and if someone has built one of these home made EVAP smoke machines please post a pic and how to

thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Yes you can use a fog machine. There are directions on how to do it. What code are you throwing? On What vehicle? Usually its easy to narrow down the culprit on a dodge evap system.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrevr/tflea View Post
Yes you can use a fog machine. There are directions on how to do it. What code are you throwing? On What vehicle? Usually its easy to narrow down the culprit on a dodge evap system.
thanks for the reply
i have a Dodge Intrepid 2001 2.7....I have a CEL on and did the key dance and pulled a P0455-Large Leak

I have replaced the gas cap with a after market and cleared the code but it returned at about 100 miles of driving

now how to use the fog machine for this troubleshooting should be interesting

I found this info on the P0455 at this site...btw it's a great place to discuss EVAP codes also http://www.obd-codes.com/p0455

Last edited by buckz6319; 09-10-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Old 09-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

any one have directions on how to convert a fog machine into a EVAP smoke machine?

I have heard of folks doing this but haven't found any details on how to's yet

post up
thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Keeper of the Ks
1987 Honda Civic
My Garage

Vehicle: 99 Sebring conv, 87 Aries
Bill Schnefel
Send a message via Yahoo to rare aries

I found from trial and error when a customer had the same problem an aftermarket fuel cap didnt solve the problem, but what did was an OE cap from the dealer.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare aries View Post
I found from trial and error when a customer had the same problem an aftermarket fuel cap didnt solve the problem, but what did was an OE cap from the dealer.
thanks for the input.....I thought about the aftermarket gas cap not being the same as a factory cap or maybe not sealing as good.

I just may purchase a factory cap and give that a try,I know that smoke would show if the aftermarket gas cap was sealing properly. I still haven't figured out how to convert the fog machine yet it would help to pinpoint the problem I think
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to PappiDread6

All a smoke machine is an electric heater shaped like a bottle that boils the liquid inside. We fill it with baby oil and do evap test with it. It's just the kit comes with "special" hoses and block off caps for intake, exhaust, ect to help narrow down the leak and trap the smoke. Yes it is possible to make a homemade one. Im thinking more on the lines of a teapot with a heater hose attached.

Usually with a gas cap problem I see small leak detected on a gross leak its usually a severed rubber hose. Even when customers come in who left there gas cap at a gas station (im not going to say any names) comes in with a C.E.L its still a small leak detected for some odd reason.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappiDread6 View Post
All a smoke machine is an electric heater shaped like a bottle that boils the liquid inside. We fill it with baby oil and do evap test with it. It's just the kit comes with "special" hoses and block off caps for intake, exhaust, ect to help narrow down the leak and trap the smoke. Yes it is possible to make a homemade one. Im thinking more on the lines of a teapot with a heater hose attached.

Usually with a gas cap problem I see small leak detected on a gross leak its usually a severed rubber hose. Even when customers come in who left there gas cap at a gas station (im not going to say any names) comes in with a C.E.L its still a small leak detected for some odd reason.
Hey thanks for the info
I may try to replace the aftermarket gas cap with a factory original one from a local dealership,not sure what the differences are?

It sounds like your a tech?.

I would love to build a low budget EVAP machine!, however I can't find any directions on how to do so,I'll keep searching

Baby oil?....well that is simple enough but how to hook up air pressure ect

Last edited by buckz6319; 09-16-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to PappiDread6

we have something like this. http://jerichoelectronics.net/proddetails.php?id=49#

no shop air required just a good car battery connection. Thats why I am assuming its a boiler/heater. I could be wrong and it could be more in there than what I am seeing, its not really mine to take apart.

Rare is correct about getting a OEM gas cap, we have been screwed over by parts stores with there caps. I don't know what it is but in some cases when we swap them they fix the problem. Even tho I test the aftermarket cap on the gas cap tester and it pass
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappiDread6 View Post
we have something like this. http://jerichoelectronics.net/proddetails.php?id=49#

no shop air required just a good car battery connection. Thats why I am assuming its a boiler/heater. I could be wrong and it could be more in there than what I am seeing, its not really mine to take apart.

Rare is correct about getting a OEM gas cap, we have been screwed over by parts stores with there caps. I don't know what it is but in some cases when we swap them they fix the problem. Even tho I test the aftermarket cap on the gas cap tester and it pass
nice smoke pro,I have seen them in action and they work great!. 12v good to know now off to gather more info

The gas cap I will change out to a factory one soon,then I will cancel the current stored code and drive.I have a 50mile a day drive to and from work work, so after I replace the cap it shouldn't take long to trigger the P0455 again or it may still come back up
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM