Go Back   DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Digital Blower Motor Resistor Retrofit?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 PM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Lightbulb Digital Blower Motor Resistor Retrofit?

Has anyone tried converting their pre-97 Dakota blower motor resistor over to a digital variable resistor or any old truck for that matter? I pulled this out of an 08' Grand Cherokee Limited it had to come with the digital HVAC (automatic temp control/climate control). It basically has a large red and black wire going to the blower motor, and a three wire input (pos/neg/data) but these are mounted literally under the passengers side in the airbox not in the firewall under the hood (safer if you ask me). I would have to retro fit a control pot **** to feed the data line. This is all just a thought that came to me when figuring this stuff out I had to replace this unit in our 98 GC Limited 5.9L
Click the image to open in full size.

Same concept but the one on the right is from our 98' GC Limited:
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 91' dakota v6 4x4
Krzykidd64
Send a message via AIM to shadowthedakota Send a message via MSN to shadowthedakota Send a message via Skype™ to shadowthedakota

i thought about doing this but using a system out of a ford/olds/buick. to be honest it never crossed my mind that jeeps had this system in it.

i do eventually plan on doing this to my intrigue with a system from a different model intrigue, i wonder how easy it would be to cross systems.

R.I.P. my brother Andrew O. 12/12/1990-9/26/12
R.I.p. love of my life Sarah G. 4/12/1990-8/3/2012
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 AM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Did you realize the traditional coil style resistors use just as much power with the fan on low as high? This digital unit will conserve MUCH more power on the lower fan speeds. This is a climate control/auto temp module from a 98' GC. It has 10 fan speeds compared to the traditional 4 speeds in all other vehicles...also the defrost/dash/floor selector is fully electric so there must be a vacuum solenoid in the dash somewhere:

This is the rear of the unit I only wish I knew the pin-out because I'm not sure if this uses the ECU. I would assume a power input, a cab temp sensor input, a single wire fan resistor output, 5-wires for the selectors with a common ground, and AC clutch wire output, in/out air solenoid output, single or multi wire output for the hot/cold vacuum flapper:
Old 07-13-2013, 01:13 AM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

I am onto something here, it deff does not use the ECM/computer here is a basic wiring diagram:

I found a pin-out for the ATC it's a standalone unit:

By the looks of it...the cab temp sensor for the climate control is in the gauge cluster??
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 91' dakota v6 4x4
Krzykidd64
Send a message via AIM to shadowthedakota Send a message via MSN to shadowthedakota Send a message via Skype™ to shadowthedakota

by the looks of the pin out you'll have to go into the dash of the jeep to get all the electric motors that drive the doors under the dash
and the temp sensor for the auto heater controls is usually up by the windshield(at least on newer cars it is).

R.I.P. my brother Andrew O. 12/12/1990-9/26/12
R.I.p. love of my life Sarah G. 4/12/1990-8/3/2012
Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 AM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Oh yeah deff, I thought it used vacuum solenoids to operate the doors but now I think there are electric actuators instead. The temp sensors I think are located behind these little slotted squares, there is one down by your feet another by the HVAC in the center of the dash and I think another in the gauge cluster or something...a total of 3?

The hardest thing to figure out will be the blending door and re-circulation...I need to figure out what works the blending doors in the GC to start, also the re-circulation is a huge mystery.

Not only do I not know how it functions in the GC I also don't fully understand it in my Dak...originally being an 88 base package I had no AC with a basic control face (no AC button). I swapped the control unit with one from a 93/94 which was slightly different and had an AC button, the other thing this has the original did not was the re-circulation to the left past cold. This functions on the same cable as the blending door(s) so you HAVE to go all the way cold before you can re-circulate (assuming it was required for the AC?). See I don't even know if my air box has a re-circulation function when the cold is maxed out to the left, at first it would stop at coldest and would not push any farther over...over time it has now moved over and kind of "clicks in" when you get to re-circulation as if there is a notch for it that was never used on my airbox?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 PM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Here is some fitment images, you could TRY to fit it here but you would have to get rid of your cigarette lighter and the text on the face would be cut off...just enough room for the ***** even the top of the digital display would be cut off but it does not use the entire screen anyway only the center. Also the unit has a downward angle so it will interfere with your CD player/head unit:

I am ditching my CD player anyway for a netbook driven system so this is where I will mount mine:
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

resistance is futile. LOL
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM