Go Back   DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Radar Detector Help

Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Amateur
2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2002 RAM 1500 QC
jeremymarkle22 Danglicious jeremymarkle22
Default Radar Detector Help

Okay guys, I got a speeding ticket last night. I usually do not do more than 5mph over the speed limit but had bad luck last night. I think my speedo might be a little off as well since my truck has 35" tires. I live in Illinois and if anyone is familiar with our laws if you receive 2 tickets within 24 months before the age of 21 you license will be suspended. To complicate all of this, the ticket was received in Iowa. I have to appear in court...blah blah blah... Moral of the story I need a good radar detector but on a budget as well. Price max is gonna have to be around $250.

If any of you guys have radar detectors or have any information on them that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Captain
1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark22 View Post
Okay guys, I got a speeding ticket last night. I usually do not do more than 5mph over the speed limit but had bad luck last night. I think my speedo might be a little off as well since my truck has 35" tires. I live in Illinois and if anyone is familiar with our laws if you receive 2 tickets within 24 months before the age of 21 you license will be suspended. To complicate all of this, the ticket was received in Iowa. I have to appear in court...blah blah blah... Moral of the story I need a good radar detector but on a budget as well. Price max is gonna have to be around $250.

If any of you guys have radar detectors or have any information on them that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Others may disagree with me. But physics wise, radar detectors don't really work that well anymore. Why you might ask? Well in the old days, radar beams were very large. So you could easilly dectect a radar beam when the cop is not actually pointing it at you. Now adays its a little different. Radar beams are actually very very tight. Which is why radar on planes, boats, yada work so well. So when your radar detector actually goes off, the cop already knows your speed. Just my .02
1998 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 - DC Power Alt, SuperChips tune, Spyder Headlights, 35x12 A/T Tires, Flip-out 7 inch radio, back up camera, tow mirrors, 2" lift, Cobra 29 lx CB radio, FireStik 5' antenna, Cherrybomb glass pack, Klein Train Horn, lots more to come
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Dodge Forum Moderator
2013 Dodge Journey
My Garage

Vehicle: Various
Kent Eaton

Spend the money to get get your speedo calibrated or buy a tuner with that capability. Then maintain at or just above the speed limit.

2013 Dodge Journey SXT
2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Spyder
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
1995 Ford Mustang
1995 Chevy Z71 K1500
Old 07-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Not to mention that Radar is only one method of capturing your speed. Now we have laser, and a host of other methods...... sure, there ARE laser detectors as well, but, 90% of the time, all they tell you is "You just got a ticket."
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Dodge Forum Moderator
2013 Dodge Journey
My Garage

Vehicle: Various
Kent Eaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Not to mention that Radar is only one method of capturing your speed. Now we have laser, and a host of other methods...... sure, there ARE laser detectors as well, but, 90% of the time, all they tell you is "You just got a ticket."
"We"?? What r you, a cop???

2013 Dodge Journey SXT
2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Spyder
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
1995 Ford Mustang
1995 Chevy Z71 K1500
Old 07-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
"We"?? What r you, a cop???
At one time.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Amateur
2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2002 RAM 1500 QC
jeremymarkle22 Danglicious jeremymarkle22

I bought a like $140 cobra detector does laser and some other bands. Just a little precaution. It's not like I am out doing 25+ over limits. I'm usually a 5 over kinda guy, but who isn't? I know that my speedo is off. I live in a small town, and from what I am aware even in the closest cities, there isn't any place that specializes is speedo calibration. But I have downloaded a few apps on my iphone and they all say I'm doing 3-5mph faster than my speedo reads. If my speedo is reading 5 over, then I'm doing 8-10 which would be a ticket in most cases. Just a little precaution with the way my truck is, have court next week in Iowa to try and get supervision since I am under 21 in Illinois and could lose my license for having 2 moving violations within 24 months. Stupid Illinois laws...
Old 07-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
2014 Dodge Dart

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
thechaser1985 keaganchase Chaser SRT thechaser85
Send a message via AIM to Midnight SRT Send a message via MSN to Midnight SRT Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight SRT Send a message via Skype™ to Midnight SRT

I have a radar detector. Not a super expensive one... but I'll tell you what it does help with... When your detector doesn't go off and you get pulled over... the cop comes up to you asking you how fast you were going and saying you were speeding... You know he didn't catch you and you say, "I wasn't speeding", and he starts huffing and puffing and comes back and says "you're lucky I'm deciding to be nice tonight", yeah, sure bud... bye.

I don't completely agree with the fact that they are useless to the point where you're already getting a ticket when it goes off, mine goes off before I see cops most of the time.

If you're really worried about it, google scramblers. I do not condone this type of equipment... lol or do I?

Join? http://thexboxsource.com/forum.php
Like? https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-X...20386168026585
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Scramblers are active systems, and in most states, are illegal. The fine is pretty serious.

So, the question becomes, does Iowa, and Illinois reciprocate points on your drivers license? Or does Illinois simply not care you got a ticket in some other state?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
2014 Dodge Dart

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
thechaser1985 keaganchase Chaser SRT thechaser85
Send a message via AIM to Midnight SRT Send a message via MSN to Midnight SRT Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight SRT Send a message via Skype™ to Midnight SRT

Illegal as hell.

Join? http://thexboxsource.com/forum.php
Like? https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-X...20386168026585
Old 07-24-2014, 11:11 AM