Go Back   DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

426 hemi vs 454 ls6

Old 11-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to HemiMan4451
Default 426 hemi vs 454 ls6

Which do you think could run faster and which do you think was a better engine?

Yea, yea....I know this is a Dodge forum but I'd thought I'd ask.

Anyone have any specs to back these engines up?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

04' Ram 1500 5.7L RCLB
-Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
Old 11-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Record Breaker

Default RE: 426 hemi vs 454 ls6

ooh, the 454 LS6 out of the Chevelle SS, killer engine, 450hp 500lb/ft of torque, 13.7sec quarter mile. One of my favorite cars and engines of all time. I'm gonna have to pick the 454 LS6. Don't get me wrong, the Charger R/T was close with 390hp, 490lb/ft of torque, and a 13.9sec quarter mile, but the LS6 was god.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:00 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 1978 Dodge Magnum Xe
Jonathan Payseur

i go with 426 hemi

- ever notice when you read a book or magazine they always say the hemi was rated "conservately" at 425 horses,
when put on the dinos rebuilt hemi's can pull out over 550 horses easily some say chrysler did this for policies or for insurance reasons. but the true fact is the design of the 426 hemi really gives it a upper hand. its hemisphericle combustion chamber aloud the flame to combust in a more natural enviroment. some say hemi's can excel till breaking point and that you got to constantly remind your self to let of the gas to prevent from damaging it. the hemi is still considered a muscle car marvel and in the late 70s to early 80s porshe used its combustion chamber design. i vote the hemi as a winner
Old 11-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Record Breaker

the 454 LS6 still put down consistently lower quater mile times.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Noob Assassin

I've got to go with the 454 LS6.....

Here's why..... plain and simple numbers....you can talk about how much potential the 426 Hemi has, but the reality is...it was never realized straight outta the factory. Yes you can beef up the Hemi, but so could you with the 454.

Fact, the Hemi and several other engines were "reduced" to fit insurance policies, but stock for stock...you gotta take the 454 here...

Now if we were talking potential, I'd be hard pressed to choose either one....as the 454 has tons of aftermarket and the 426 just has alot of potential for added power...
Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Professional

Didn't the hemi in the charger daytone have 500hp?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") this is bunny,
he has a drinking problem
Old 11-13-2005, 02:58 PM
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

Vehicle: 1972 Dodge Demon 340
Send a message via AIM to BadStratRT

chrysler also had a production race 426 hemi...the fact of the matter was that when the hemi cars were popular, they dominated the racing scene, both stock and modified. this is why the majority of your "famous" drivers in the NHRA and nascar from the muscle car era were dodge drivers...

if i was going to pick a chevy engine that i really wanted, it woudl be an RPO L88...google it.

An old school sig from Alex, as a tribute to a fallen friend - RIP Alex.

Buying a camera and taking pictures of your own car doesn't make you a professional photographer.

1972 Dodge Demon 340 (H code)-1983 Dodge Mirada 340-2002 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe-2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Old 11-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 2003 VW Jetta
Send a message via AIM to ramfan5.9

Quote:
ORIGINAL: X_Spearmint

and thats why i go with the 454
Old 11-13-2005, 03:13 PM
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

Vehicle: 1972 Dodge Demon 340
Send a message via AIM to BadStratRT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: X_Spearmint

what exactly does this mean? it put down those quarter mile times in what vehicles? hemi darts were in the 10s...they were rare, but they were in the 10s, and the hemi b-bodies were smacking everything, including the "original muscle car", the gto, and it featured a GMBB.

An old school sig from Alex, as a tribute to a fallen friend - RIP Alex.

Buying a camera and taking pictures of your own car doesn't make you a professional photographer.

1972 Dodge Demon 340 (H code)-1983 Dodge Mirada 340-2002 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe-2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

what exactly does this mean? it put down those quarter mile times in what vehicles? hemi darts were in the 10s...
False. No showroom stock cars from back then (even now) are in the 10's stock. You might be talking about teh lightweight Race Darts that ran NHRA back in the day. 'glass parts, leaded fuel, high compression, ported, bigger cams, etc. There was never any of those sold through the factory, just made that way when the race teams got the "body in white".

**EDIT: I re-read it and I sounded like a real @$$whole. I didn't mean to come off that way, I just strongly dissagree. Didn't mean anything personal***

Yes, the hemi's were not rated correctly from the factory, but neither were the LS6's. Numbers are comparable, but there are no 'real' dyno tests to back up the "differnces" in ratings.

Hemi's, especially the dual quads, were notoriously hard to keep tuned up. Tuning a single 4 barrel can be a challenge, but getting 2 dialed in is extremely hard. The LS6's did it with a single Holley.

ANd the way I always put it when i get into this debate..."If Hemi's were as fast as everyone says and everybody wanted a Hemi if they raced, why are were so many Big Block Chevy's made? It wasn't because they were cheap. It was because they close in power and easier to tune. Why do they command such a high price today? There were so few made, not necissarly because they were 'king'. THe LS6 was the highest HP car to come out of Detriot until the viper. Where is the Hemi on that list? Oh..yea...behind a few other Big Block Chevy's (427/435). "

The problem with the Hemi's is they have such a reputation, everyone thinks they are the best. Have you ever ridden in a Hemi? Neither have I. I am not trying to 'preach' as everyone has their own opinion. But, I will tell you a story. I swear that the guy said this. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there:

I go to a local car show, and there is a 70 'cuda parked nose in to a fence with a crowd of people standing around it. It's a 4 speed, shaker hood, Hemi powered, Cuda. My jaw almost hit the ground. Flawless...absolutely amazing. (Now I am a car guy, and I know Hemi's are cool) So I start talking to the owner. He said it was made for export in 70 and sent to Germany. He found it over there and brought it back...less then 20,000 miles on it. So I told him about my CHevelle. He said he also owns a 396/375 horse stock Chevelle. He then said (and I quote him exactly, I will never forget these words) "When I want to go in a fast car, I take my Chevelle out".

That reaffirmed my belief that a BBC is better then a Hemi. [8D]

And if you want to see a motor, look up an LS7. A few were rumored in Corvettes. Dynoed at 550 (from factory) real world dynos put it well north of 625.

Chris
Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Tags
14, 2008, 426, 454, charger, chevelle, daytone, dodge, hemi, ls6, ls7, mile, rt, specs, vs