Why I want to learn to work on my truck - DodgeForum.com

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Why I want to learn to work on my truck

Old 02-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Mitty87

Default Why I want to learn to work on my truck

A couple years ago I had just bought a Chevy HD diesel flatdeck shally for landscsping. I had to drive from Vancouver to Alberta and on the way back I had a young hitchhiker driving for me while I slept, I wake up around 2 am getting pulled over.

the kid has swerved a couple times and the cop took a 10 second look under neath and said its unfit to drive, impounded to his friends shop. I had to hitch hike in the dark in the rain in a nowhere town and leave the truck. They said I can't drive it until I did the $7000 of work it needed and the nearest shop was a $500 tow away for a second opinion. The shop owner practically begged me to sell it to him for $1000, I had just paid $9500 for it 2 months earlier and had inspected and said it was fine.

i know I won't be able to do all the jobs I was but at least get an idea of what needs to be done and what I should be paying for whatever services. I don't know, does that story seem like a shady mechanic and cop or did he actually save my life.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:09 PM
jkeaton
Site Moderator

What? Lol. Who knows. What's actually wrong with it? You picked up a hitchhiker and let him drive your truck while you slept?? Moving to off topic. Does not belong in new member area.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Mitty87

The cop said he used to be a cvse highway inspection and the all the front end parts were messed up, but he determined that in the dark in just a few seconds. I was frustrated because I had to go home and just deal with all of this on the phone. I really don't remember all of the stuff but $7000 seemed outrageous to just make it drivable.

the kid hitch hiker was nice and I had been talking to him for 8 hours already. I didn't make him feel bad, he actually stayed with my wife and I for 2 days once we made it back to my place hitchhiking together

i exaggerated his driving abilities a bit, he was swerving all over and there had been a few calls to the police and an ambulance who was following us actually pulled him over because they thought he was drunk. He was just a bad driver though, it always steered fine with me, it was just a big dualy flat deck and he wasn't the most experienced driver.

Last edited by Mitty87; 02-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

You are being scammed. The cop had it towed to a friends shop? Yeah. That seems legit...... Somewhere..... but, not in this universe. I have no idea what your options are though. I think paying the guy 7 grand to 'fix it', would only lead to more 'needed' repairs..... Talk to a tow company. Have it hauled out of that jurisdiction, then drive it home.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Mitty87

This was in BC Canada, little town called blue river near Kamloops and a few hours from Vancouver, it happened over a year ago. The tow guy was asking if I'd sell it to him before it even got taken to his shop, I still owed him for the first tow and he wouldn't do another tow to a second shop unless I paid. I had no idea what was going on and just gave up and let him buy it.

It was summer and it was raining harder than I've ever seen, there was flooding in nearby towns, the cop wouldn't give us a ride and the tow truck driver left us on the highway with our bags soaked, probably 3 or 4 am when we got dropped off.

i would of driven it if I could but the cop said it was impounded until I did all the repairs to pass their inspection
Old 02-05-2017, 08:49 AM
jkeaton
Site Moderator

Lol. This is got to be made up.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Mitty87

No, I drove back through the town to get some things out of the truck and get the money for it a month later. The guy was a bitch. The initial offer was $1500 but he still charged me for the tow, didn't tell me that until I got there so it was $1000, said he would take the offer off the table if I didn't take the tow bill off.

Normally I would stand up for myself, if there was even anything I could do but I was exhausted from driving to Alberta and back in 3 days and then I had to try to deal with all of this from 400km away.

I

Search this Thread