Go Back   DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

View Poll Results: A poll
Yes 38 80.85%
No 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Do you support a border fence between Mexico and the United States?

Old 12-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
thechaser1985 keaganchase Chaser SRT thechaser85
Send a message via AIM to Midnight SRT Send a message via MSN to Midnight SRT Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight SRT Send a message via Skype™ to Midnight SRT
Default Do you support a border fence between Mexico and the United States?

Updated: 09:30 AM EST
Mexico Criticizes U.S. Immigration Bill for Security Focus
Measure Would OK Partial Fence on Border, Impact Worker Permits
By IOAN GRILLO, AP

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/ar...00010000000001

Click the image to open in full size.

MEXICO CITY (Dec. 17) - The Mexican government slammed the U.S. Congress for approving an immigration bill that would tighten border controls and make it harder for undocumented immigrants to get jobs.

The House of Representatives voted 239-182 in favor of measures that would enlist military and local law enforcement to help stop illegal entrants and require employers to verify the legal status of their workers.

The House also authorized the building of a fence along parts of the U.S.-Mexico border, but did not include any new temporary work program for migrants, something Mexico insists is needed.

"The government of Mexico ... believes that a reform which only considers security measures will not contribute to a better, more integral bilateral management of migration issues," the Foreign Relations department said in a statement.

"The U.S. executive branch publicly expressed its commitment to an integral immigration reform, with a new program for temporary workers," the statement continued. "The Mexican government will redouble its efforts to achieve this shared goal."

President Bush urged Congress almost two years ago to enact a guest worker program that would allow illegal immigrants to stay in the country temporarily to fill jobs unwanted by Americans.

House leaders wouldn't allow a vote on a volatile proposal to deny citizenship to babies born in the United States to illegal immigrants.

But the House did approve building 700 miles of fence along the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border, giving priority for construction in Laredo, Texas. The city is across the border from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, where warring drug cartels have been blamed for more than 140 killings this year.

Mexico argues existing barriers built along heavily crossed sections of the border have not stopped migrants from crossing, rather have pushed them through more desolate, dangerous areas.

A record number of more than 415 people died crossing the border illegally in 2005, according to statistics from the U.S. Border Patrol for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30. That compares to the previous record of 383 deaths in 2000.

Mexico's National Human Rights Commission described the U.S. measure as "part of a tendency to criminalize migration with a wall that calls to mind the Berlin Wall."

As well as building a wall, the bill would require the Defense and Homeland Security departments to design a plan to use military technology to stop illegal crossings and require all employers in the country, more than 7 million, to check the legal status of workers.

U.S. authorities estimate there are about 11 million undocumented migrants in the United States, about half of whom are Mexican.

Associated Press Writer Olga Rodriguez contributed to this story from Monterrey.

12/17/05 01:10 EST
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

Join? http://thexboxsource.com/forum.php
Like? https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-X...20386168026585
Old 12-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 2003 VW Jetta
Send a message via AIM to ramfan5.9
Default RE: Do you support a border fence between Mexico and the United States?

i support it only if theyre allowed to mount machine guns on posts along the tops
Old 12-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Noob Assassin

I'm sorry, but the whole fence/wall idea is not only stupid, but a waste of time and money.

I just dont see what it would do besides waste money and cause concerns of the post WWII Berlin Wall all over again.

The thing that should get done, is enforcement of hiring policies and start requiring all employees to be able to speak and write in english. Start forcing companies to run their employment lists thru a screening company or what have you. It's an idea, but its only a start....

Now, that may be a bit racist or what have you, but it would eliminate some of these people who have no business in our country. Look, if you can apply for a green card, I'll support you. If you are here illegally, you need to go...regardless of what race or where you are from.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:28 PM
All Star

i agree with the machine gun thing but i would agree more if i could man one of those bad boys!
Old 12-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Record Breaker

Send a message via AIM to highline95jl

IF you want to be in america learn some English. I support the idea of imigration. My grandparents came from Germany after WWII, not knowing a lick of English, but they learned because they knew that people would not accept them if they couldnt speak or write the language. Just I dont think it would be this bad if the new imagrents SPOKE FRIGGIN ENGLISH. Thats just me.
04 SRT-4- In the Garage for the winter.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:06 PM
The Only Elite DF Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Avenger Lux
nickoman01 nickoman01
Send a message via AIM to nickoman01 Send a message via Yahoo to nickoman01

i support it, especially if we use deadly force along it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
It's only gay if you ***.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:57 PM
All Star

Population in America is already over the top. Does China still have the "Only Two Children Per Household" mandate? Has anyone ever been there and seen the population crisis that is actually going on? I support it. If citizenship is acquired, then you belong here just as much as I do but I just don't want to see an over-populated country and the problems that follow with that.

I have a problem with the first sentence in that article though.
Quote:
The Mexican government slammed the U.S. Congress for approving an immigration bill that would tighten border controls and make it harder for undocumented immigrants to get jobs.
Why???
Old 12-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Legend

Send a message via AIM to casper

Quote:
ORIGINAL: CoyoteRoede

i agree with the machine gun thing but i would agree more if i could man one of those bad boys!
Me too.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to HemiMan4451

They should do this. We need to stop the flow of illegals into the US.

04' Ram 1500 5.7L RCLB
-Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
Old 12-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
thechaser1985 keaganchase Chaser SRT thechaser85
Send a message via AIM to Midnight SRT Send a message via MSN to Midnight SRT Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight SRT Send a message via Skype™ to Midnight SRT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: TRUCK

Population in America is already over the top. Does China still have the "Only Two Children Per Household" mandate? Has anyone ever been there and seen the population crisis that is actually going on? I support it. If citizenship is acquired, then you belong here just as much as I do but I just don't want to see an over-populated country and the problems that follow with that.

I have a problem with the first sentence in that article though.
Quote:
The Mexican government slammed the U.S. Congress for approving an immigration bill that would tighten border controls and make it harder for undocumented immigrants to get jobs.
Why???
Good points. They shouldn't have a problem, unless they want their illegal immagrants to come over here. I think we need a brick wall, with barbed wire and snipers...

ENGLISH ONLY

Join? http://thexboxsource.com/forum.php
Like? https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-X...20386168026585
Old 12-17-2005, 08:24 PM