Oil Change DIYs! Changing your own oil is easier than you would think, and is a simple job to save a few bucks!

1991-1996 Dodge Stealth RT, TT or NA

Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1991-1996 Dodge Stealth RT, TT or NA

Done by:
thestealth

Performed on:
1992 Dodge Stealth RT Twin Turbo, 1992 Dodge Stealth RT NA

Step 1. Run engine to normal operating temperature.

Step 2. Shut off engine. With car parked on level ground, lie in front of the car on the drivers side. Slide a short catch pan under the car. With a flashlight, locate the oil pan drain plug (socket size forthcoming). Unscrew plug, using a 17mm wrench, try not to drop it in to oil catch pan. Just in front of the oil drain plug is the filter, it will be hidden from view, but should be no trouble to find. If the last person didn't over tighten the filter, it should come off pretty easy, if not, you will be able to use a filter wrench. Upon removing the filter, inspect it to make sure the filter gasket came off with the filter.

Step 3. Allow oil to drain. A warm engine will drain much faster and more thoroughly than a cold engine.

Step 4. Clean and replace oil pan drain plug. Using a small amount of fresh oil, lubricate the gasket on the new filter and replace filter.
Do not over tighten filter, hand tight will suffice.

Step 5. Fill with 4.5 quarts of the oil of your choice. I use Valvoline full synthetic in my Twin Turbo and Valvoline high mileage blend in my non turbo. Use whatever suits you best. Run engine, to cycle oil through new filter. Check oil level with enging shut off, fill as required.

Note: DO NOT use Fram brand filters. I know personally of one engine failure due to the filter check valve coming apart and clogging the oil pump, blowing the engine. I have read about several Fram filter failures online. Use OEM filters from Mitsubishi. They will cost a little more, but for the piece of mind, it is a small price to pay.

DodgeStealth

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991-1996 Dodge Stealth RT, TT or NA