PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

98 Ram 360 Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
FishHawk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram 360 Fuel Problem

Drove home last night no problem, got back in 15 minutes later and won't start. Got spark, can prime it and it chugs for a moment. Can't find a filter in line anywhere, am hoping it's NOT the pump, but does anyone have any leads on possible easy solution? Weekends are not the greatest time to find a mechanic that's able to jump into it. I don't mind tinkering but don't want to throw in a fuel pump if it's a rail, etc...

Thanks,
Michael FishHawk210WA@gmail.com

Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM
tataspeedy
Default RE: 98 Ram 360 Fuel Problem

FishHawk: Am having identical problem and am leaning towards pump replacement. Have no pressure at rail and the relay is working. Have you had any further progress on your problem? Just too many "things" in the fuel delivery system that can go wrong and cause you to "fry" your mind over it. Let me know.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 PM
FishHawk

Mine turned out to be the fuel pump. As much as I push OEM parts when possible, I had to rely on an aftermarket fuel pump on a Saturday evening but it's worked fine ever since. Maybe 45 minutes total turn around time for replacement.

If you have the manpower, it may be easier to pull the bed off for access but I got by with the driver's side of the frame up on jack stands and a floor jack under the tank. Pop off the fuel lines, undo the straps, drop tank, (getting the aftermarket seal to seat correctly was frustrating) and reinstall.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
tataspeedy

Thanx for the input FishHawk. Noticed that pump, filter and pressure regulator are all attached. Is pump sold by itself or does all come as a unit? Have my project all cut out for me this weekend. Thanx again!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
FishHawk

I never checked to begin with but I believe it is sold only as an assembly. Ironically, my fuel issues started with an erratic fuel gauge, and I assume the whole unit was in it's dying stages. From other manufacturers that have sold the items seperately, many times it's not a great savings to buy 1 component, and as soon as you have to replace the 2nd item, you've gone backwards in parts costs and labor involvement. Just my thought there though...

Quick Reply: 98 Ram 360 Fuel Problem