PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

What type of sensor is the crank or the camshaftsensor

Old 01-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Activate
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of sensor is the crank or the camshaftsensor

I want to change to propane injection on my 98 4x4 and I need a new ECU for that.

I can use the cam or crank sensor but I have to now what type they are, VR or Hall??

Can someone help me?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.[/align]

Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What type of sensor is the crank or the camshaftsensor

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 3.9L/5.2L/5.9L ENGINES
The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor on all engines.
The sensor contains a hall effect device called a sync signal generator to generate a fuel sync signal. This sync signal generator detects a rotating pulse ring (shutter) on the distributor shaft. The pulse ring rotates 180 degrees through the sync signal generator. Its signal is used in conjunction with the crankshaft position sensor to differentiate between fuel injection and spark events. It is also used to synchronize the fuel injectors with their respective cylinders.
When the leading edge of the pulse ring (shutter) enters the sync signal generator, the following occurs: The interruption of magnetic field causes the voltage to switch high resulting in a sync signal of approximately 5 volts.
When the trailing edge of the pulse ring (shutter) leaves the sync signal generator, the following occurs: The change of the magnetic field causes the sync signal voltage to switch low to 0 volts.

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 5.2L/5.9L V-8 ENGINES
Engine speed and crankshaft position are provided through the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor generates pulses that are the input sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) The PCM interprets the sensor input to determine the crankshaft position. The PCM then uses this position, along with other inputs, to determine injector sequence and ignition timing.
The sensor is a hall effect device combined with an internal magnet. It is also sensitive to steel within a certain distance from it.
On 5.2L and 5.9L V-8 engines, the flywheel/drive plate has 8 single notches, spaced every 45 degrees, at its outer edge
The notches cause a pulse to be generated when they pass under the sensor. The pulses are the input to the PCM. For each engine revolution, there are 8 pulses generated on V-8 engines.
The engine will not operate if the PCM does not receive a crankshaft position sensor input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What type of sensor is the crank or the camshaftsensor