PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

2004 electrical gremlins

Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
jackbobtom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 electrical gremlins

Hi All,
I am new to this forum, but hopefully someone can help.
We have a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 24v Cummins engine fitted and it has allsorts of gremlins with the electronics. The truck has been stood for 12 months (elsewhere) or so and was believed to be running (although not very well) beforehand. The batteries had gone flat in this time.
We have charged the batteries off the vehicle and refitted them. (both seem to be holding charge fine)
Things that DO NOT work:-
1. keyless entry
2. Fuel gauge and volt meter does not move with ignition on.
3. Diagnostic (on-off 3 times does nothing) Plugging in a scanner does nothing either(says no communication)
4. Several warning lights come on with ignition, go out and come back on one at a time with a chime for each one.
5 Fuel pump is not constant, it pulses. (have tried testing the feed and the feed is pulsing) The injectors can be heard pulsing also with ignition on but not turning over. (clicking noise )
The engine will spin over but will not start. (Not tested for fuel at fuel rail yet)
The vehicle Vin has been checked at a Dodge dealer in the US and it has been confirmed that it does NOT have the "Sentry" key system fitted.

Overhead is working but when fuel distance selected there is just a line --
We have put 5 gallon of fuel in and no change.
All the fuses and many of the connections and grounds have been checked.

I have done an overhead console check which comes back as PASS.
The instrument cluster has been put into diagnostic mode and comes up with a few faults, but they are all recent ones where I unplugged connectors with the battery connected to test if it is diagnosing correctly.
Cannot get any fault codes from the ECM as it won't communicate. ( it appears to sense that the ignition is not on when it is!)

[/align]Any ideas anyone?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received. ( before I start stripping it down)

We are in the United Kingdom so taking it to the Dealer isn't really an option.

[/align][/align]
Thanks for listening, please let me know your thoughts.
Cheers, John

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM
tom01973
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 electrical gremlins

it won't show fuel milage as it hasen't been driven anywhere.maybe a bad ecm.when ecm is shorted out it wont communicate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 electrical gremlins