PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

SUPERCHIPS Tuner >>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:13 PM
JDELUNA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUPERCHIPS Tuner >>>>>>

Did any of you see the August 2004 of one of the MOPAR magazine ?? They dynoed a Dodge truck with a 5.2 in it and added headers, intake, exhaust, and the superchips tuner. They dynoed the truck totally stock and then after each mod, they made a total of 35hp gain and 25 Torque. The Superchips alone gave like 20Hp alone IIRC. So if it can work on a 5.2, I am pretty sure the gains on a 5.9 would be just as much or greater !!!!

Old 06-23-2004, 10:40 PM
edlance
Default RE: SUPERCHIPS Tuner >>>>>>

Yep, probably so, but do some more research on exactly what those chip tuners are doing to the engine. In most cases you will lose your warranty (and yes, unless it is a very mild chip that is removeable and it doens't reprogram anyhting, the dodge techs can tell you had one installed or plugged in). If you use a "box" and it happens to set an engine code, you're screwed as you can't reset it without it being found out.

Even if the box doesn't change a code or alter anyhting, the computer still takes a snap-shot of the engine and computer conditions at the time of a failure (should one occur while you are using a box). A smart tech can tell you what was out of line by looking at the data. The end result is, he has statistical proof that something altered the settings from the stock numbers. If the computer cna be shown to be working correctly, you lose your warranty because the only answer for the altered data is an aftermarket box or chip.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:02 AM
JDELUNA

Actually from what I understand on how the chip tuner works, it makes a copy or downloads your STOCK program to itself. Then you reprogram and download to your PCM a new program. So I am assuming that if there is a problem then you can revert back to your STOCK program. Also what I was planning on doing was trying to aquire another PCM as a spare so that I can always switch back to stock.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Lil Devil

That is exactly right. It saves a copy of the stock program in the handlheld in case you want to go back to stock for service.

Also, there are not many techs out there capable of interpreting the data quick enough in the stream to see that you have one installed. I would still go back to stock if you go to the dealer.

We carry the full line of superchips and offer some of the cheapest prices on the 'net. Unfortunately I can't publish prices on the 'net so if you would like some special member pricing, send me an email or PM.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2004, 12:44 PM
gasguzler

Im curious about the superchip. I have a 2001 2500 4x4 5.9l it could use some more umph. Can you see any gains with this chip without running premium? Im getting about 12mpg now and am in no big hurry to have to raise my bill at the pump.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Lil Devil

ORIGINAL: gasguzler

Im curious about the superchip. I have a 2001 2500 4x4 5.9l it could use some more umph. Can you see any gains with this chip without running premium? Im getting about 12mpg now and am in no big hurry to have to raise my bill at the pump.
Handheld programmers are our biggest sellers. Once the intake, headers and exhausts is installed, it's almost a must to re-tune the trucks computer.

You are correct that most handhelds for most applications require premium fuel. The good news for your specific vehicle is that the Superchips handheld is a TriMax tuner meaning can run in 3 different modes, one of the for lower octane. You can read up on the different modes here on the superchips site: http://www.superchips.com/html/produ...odge_index.htm

Feel free to ask any questions you may have on this product!

Lil Devil

Old 07-11-2004, 03:30 PM
edlance

Techs may not be able to interpret the data stream on the fly, but the snap-shot of the engine data at failure can be read easily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a box as I am looking at various ones for my 04 diesel 2500 myself, but I think folks should know the risks involved and that there is a definite possibility that if anything does go wrong, techs can detect that something other than stock settings were used. If they have data in-hand that indicates altered data, they have the evidence to refuse warranty work. Everyone knows the boxes exist and are popular add-ons and that they can be dissconnected, so if they have data, that's all they need. Does it mean they can or will in every case? No, but the possibility exists, all depends on what goes wrong, etc. Everyone just needs to be aware of that. If you add a box you are taking a risk.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Lil Devil

oh your abolsutely right.... that is why handhelds like superchips and diablosport predators initially save your stock program and allow you to go back to stock within seconds at the push of a button.

A lot depends on the tech. I have done to the dealership for various warranty repairs with a custom tune installed and they never said a thing!

Old 07-18-2004, 11:56 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

How about one for the '05 Magnum R/T? Anything in the works yet?

Nick

Old 07-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Napoli
Rookie

So where can I find info on a hand unit for a SRT-4-04? and what are the power gains over stock?

Regards,
Napoli

Quick Reply: SUPERCHIPS Tuner >>>>>>