PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

what's the different?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
DRamSrt10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the different?

what is the different between pcm and flash? im planning to get a K&N cold air intake for my '04 rc ram srt10 but will it make my truck lose a little horsepower so will i need pcm or flash to keep my truck from lose any power. which should i go for pcm or flash?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: what's the different?

Just an intake won't need a flash. The PCM is more than capable of compensating for such a minor upgrade. An aftermarket PCM is pre configured with certain settings. Certain air/fuel mixture, timing, ect. It's a fine idea if you only have mild modicications.. A flash is taylored to the specific changes you've made, such as a larger cam, larger injectors, ect. You tell the what you have and they flash it to work best with that particular setup.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:05 AM
tenntech
Professional
Default RE: what's the different?

A pcm (powertrain control module) is the actual computer or part that controls engine and sometimes the transmission. The "flash" is the software program that is in the module. When you "flash" a pcm, you are just loading a more up-to-date software version. You shouldn't have to change anything when you add a cold air intake, but I don't think you'll notice any horsepower gains. The factory air intake system breathes through the fender, and is taking in fresh air.