Ram Eco Diesel Discuss topics specific to the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shieldsdb

I like that they added a ground plug to the 110v outlet. Question is, did they bump the amps up? I tried to run a drill from it will no luck.

The power inverter is on a 30 Amp fuse

Old 02-15-2014, 04:14 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
24.5mpg mostly city and 31mpg mostly highway. damn. but we all know, a tuner would reduce that severely..lol

Man, they do sit really low. Whats up with that?
Hey it's a half ton, and 2wd? What do you expect? Pretty impressive MPG but then again Diesel in my area is $1.00 -$1.50 more a gallon.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Hey it's a half ton, and 2wd? What do you expect? Pretty impressive MPG but then again Diesel in my area is $1.00 -$1.50 more a gallon.
Damn, that sucks. It really does come down to where you live. Strangely, gas prices vary greatly around the nation but diesel does not. I mean it still varies but not as much as gas. So a diesel could be a great savings or a much less savings.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Blueball
Rookie

I own one and i love the mileage. I drive it daily and only fill twice a month.

The turbo lag is significant tho IMO but one you're rolling it will pin you in your seat briefly.

I want a chip for this ... one that wont leave a trace in the computer.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I test drove a couple, would have bought one, but they are on allocation here, one per dealer and NO dealer would budge off sticker, while they'd take $8000 off a Hemi before even dickering.

Ended up buying a 2500 CTD that they dropped just shy of $11,000 off. If you think the Eco has lag, drive a CTD. You'll be 25' down the road while I'm still spooling up.

BTW - there is now an EcoDiesel section in the Diesel section...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-13-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:23 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

I have a 2012 1500 with the 5.7. Very happy with i, 39000 miles. Although even with recently new plugs I'm getting 1-2 mpg less mileage starting aroung 30,000 miles must be oxygenated gas. Anyhow, 100 volt ground wire, programers, sits low etc. little things some. However I think lots of people are forgetting it's still a half ton, light duty truck!! Its not a 3/4 or 1 ton! I think the word "diesel" makes some thing "Big Truck". I know the Ford boys are laughing about the what, 260 h.p.? Forgetting the torque in a diesel is in the low RPM range which is exactly where the 8 speed tranny keeps it, hence one reason for the great mileage. My 5.7 1500 will out pull/haul the 04 Ford F150's I had by a lot, and rode in friends Ecoboost Ford and trust me, he better not try going by me, the ECO won't do it. I do guarantee the Dodge diesel will pull as good or better than the 5.7 and look at the mileage. I'd like to try one out but am afraid I'd want it. Personally I think they should offer it in a low end model for people who use it for work but do not need a 3/4 ton. The mileage is awesome!!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think in the next few years the perception of "diesel" and "big truck" will change. With government MPG mandates combined with diesels becoming "clean" (EPA friendly) you are going to see a LOT more in use in every segment. Maybe not to the extent as in Europe, but they'll be on American roads in a lot larger numbers than you're seeing today.

Hell, just in the half ton truck market, Ram set the standard but it's been in the works for a while. Before govt. bail-outs both Chrysler and GM were in negotiations with Cummins for their 5.0 V8 (300 HP/500 TQ) engine. GM had approved plans for use in both light trucks and the Cadillac. Hense, RAM forgoing the Cummins in favor of the slightly less powerful (240 HP/420 TQ) Motori.

With Fiat buying Chrysler, they already own VM Motori (traditionally a marine diesel company), coupled with the fact that their projections showed the Cummins 5.0 would be a 24 mpg hwy engine in a truck whereas the Motori 3.0 would be a 28 mpg hwy engine (the govt. gives tax breaks for vehicles averaging 26+ hwy mpgs).

Now both Nissan and Toyota are slated to use the Cummins 5.0 V8 in their half ton offerings this segment looks to get REAL crowded, REAL fast...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-15-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was interested in test driving one but couldn't find one, much less one equipped the way I like it. We just returned form a trip towing up some tall passes (North Rim of the grand Canyon campground was at 8,800 feet and we got the first frost of the year) and lots of wind and with all of the stuff I had in the bed of my truck, I was missing my old 3/4 ton. So now combined with what I've been reading about the ED and my experience with my current truck ('09 CC hemi) plus the price difference, I'm leaning to a 3/4 ton truck as my next one.

I'll see what comes up next year or two but right now it's looking like a Cummins or Duramax. Kind of leaning to a Duramax based on price and reputation (I get employee pricing on the Duramax). I also like the idea of the Allison transmission and I can order exactly what I want. I was doing the "build my truck" yesterday and I can get 2015 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax for about $2K over the ecodiesel. To me that's a no brainer, just in case I get a bigger trailer later.

I will not pay full price for an ED no matter what.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 09-17-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Personally I think they should offer it in a low end model for people who use it for work but do not need a 3/4 ton. The mileage is awesome!!
You can get it in a Tradesman Quad Cab.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tested the new diesel last week. I didnt find it that responsive as diesels go and the Hemi will eat it alive performance wise. I passed on it and preferred to buy a new CC Laramie with another Hemi. My dealer has a few new diesels in various trims and they are not selling well for them.

Last edited by Mystro; 10-22-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?