Ram Eco Diesel Discuss topics specific to the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Electrickone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They are trading in brand new truck.....

There is one on auto trader with 800 miles, in IN. One in LA with 1000 miles,
and three in TX with under 6000 miles, and a few elsewhere. These are new trucks, a few months old, titled less than 60 days......that worries me. According to the carfax reports......

Old 11-03-2014, 05:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran into one a block up the street from my house Saturday. Guy putting up a wood privacy fence with a magnetic sign for his business on the side of a bright blue ED.

Stopped to BS with him for a couple of minutes and he loves it. 18,000 miles on it, averaging about 24 mpg combo about half the time pulling an enclosed trailer with his tools, table saw, etc., etc. in it.

Said he bought it for the reasons spoke about here. Wanted the MPGs from a truck he was going to put 25,000+ miles a year on, using to haul a high percentage of the time but rarely more than 5,000 lbs. and he was planning on trying to get 6-8 years at that 25,000 mile per year clip out of it.

Originally Posted by Electrickone
There is one on auto trader with 800 miles, in IN. One in LA with 1000 miles,
and three in TX with under 6000 miles, and a few elsewhere. These are new trucks, a few months old, titled less than 60 days......that worries me. According to the carfax reports......

I dunno, I think a lot of that has to do with the price paid. I see a LOT of new trucks around here for sale. IMO a lot of younger folks out there do the math and see they have just enough after paying the rent and insurance to pay the $700 a month payment on a $50,000 plus vehicle. About 1 in 10 will put that vehicle up for sale within 6 months and these tend to be younger people who realize that they didn't figure on extra money to go out to eat, weekend trips, or have a financial emergency come up and then realize they've budgeted themselves at close to 100% of their income with nothing left over for extras or emergencies...

I see it all the time even with classic vehicles as I work in the auto restoration industry...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-03-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Electrickone
Default Well its too late now.......

I bought one last night. So I guess I will find out.

I just worry, people are having issues with them and trading them in. I hope that is not the case. I think the truck has the pickup if you hit the gas, just like the EB, it has a better ride than the ford, my only other concern is it holds it value. With Nissan, and Toyota coming out with Cummings engines next year, buying an oil burner was a no brainer. Next year when the oil burners come out, the Gas Hogs are going to be worthless to sell/trade.

I'll update with mileage and any issues, as it rolls........

Old 11-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

I bought one last night. So I guess I will find out.

I just worry, people are having issues with them and trading them in. I hope that is not the case. I think the truck has the pickup if you hit the gas, just like the EB, it has a better ride than the ford, my only other concern is it holds it value. With Nissan, and Toyota coming out with Cummings engines next year, buying an oil burner was a no brainer. Next year when the oil burners come out, the Gas Hogs are going to be worthless to sell/trade.

I'll update with mileage and any issues, as it rolls........
I think the biggest issues a very few people are having is the fact just because its a diesel, they think its a big 3/4 ton truck. It isn't, it's still a light duty half ton. Unless you tow a lot is the added 4-5 mpg worth the added thousands in price? Not for me.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Electrickone
Smile Depends on the price you pay, I guess

The sticker price on these things is so inflated, its insane. And most people do not know, that the "actual dealer cost" is nothing in the same as the "dealer invoice" (dealer invoice is the biggest scam ever played on the population). Dealer actual cost is, the fake invoice price, less dealer incentives, not consumer incentives, less dealer "hold back" and dealer allowances from the manufacturer. At the end of the day these trucks are somewhat in demand, I have only seen one in my area sold in the last 45 days, and with that said, I think the "demand is a hoax", they may get in demand, but right now, that is not the case in LA. The moral of this story is, if you know all these numbers and you do not get into a hurry to buy any vehicle, you can get a way better deal than most. At the end of the day, most dealers will offer you nothing for a trade and want good money for there car, on an avg trade worth 30K and a new one close to that price, most dealers are making 6K to 12K on each car, depending on how smart the buyer is, and how well versed he is in negotiating.

So to answer your post is it worth it, well I think it was for my deal, but if someone walked in, and lost 4-6K on there trade, and paid 2K under sticker, I'd say no car/truck is worth it, no matter the mileage. But I brought a buyer for my trade with me, and had the dealer do the paper work, got the full tax credit on my trade, and bought the Ram around 8450.00 under sticker, that to me was a good deal. Not great, but good.

http://fightingchance.com/pricing.php

Originally Posted by Tunaman
I think the biggest issues a very few people are having is the fact just because its a diesel, they think its a big 3/4 ton truck. It isn't, it's still a light duty half ton. Unless you tow a lot is the added 4-5 mpg worth the added thousands in price? Not for me.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunaman

My 2014 6.7 CTD is averaging 19.77 mpg over-all since I bought it and my 2004 Hemi 1500 averaged about 12.5. It's obviously not a fair comparison, especially since my Hemi was running on 35's and had 4.56 gearing as well as a host of other mods and aside from a set of nerf bars, my 2500 is bone stock. But in my case, the difference actually allowed me to go from two vehicles to one and save on insurance, registrations, etc. This was going to also be my intention had the dealers gotten right on the price on an ED.

Unless you are towing/hauling I don't think you can look at purchasing a 1500 diesel solely based on fuel economy. If you compare sticker to sticker, the price between an identically equipped Hemi and ED are only about $2000 apart. The problem is, as stated before, dealers will take close to $10,000 off a Hemi between rebates and haggling where, at least in my area, they won't budge off sticker on an ED.

Now at $2000-3000 more for a 1500 diesel vs. a gasser, I can make a strong case to buy one. Fuel economy is big, but fuel economy while under load is a major difference, longevity of a diesel vs. a gas engine are just a few benefits. But at $8000-10,000 between a Hemi and ED, I think the choice turns into a Hemi 1500 or CTD, or at least it did in my case...

Old 11-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are "selling" true dealer pricing with your link?.... ROFL
Yea, there sure are suckers out there being exploited from their car buying inexperience.

Moral of the story: Buy what truck you like. Make the experience fun and put a value on how much your time is worth beating your local dealerships up for a discount. It also depends on if you have a working relationship with a dealer you like and trust. That may be good enough for them to earn your business with a fair enough price.

The old diesel verses gas debate was simpler before the diesel motors got all clean and technical. A older diesel would run forever and was relatively simple to maintain. If I needed a towing rig today, I would buy a older Cummings and delicate it as a tow rig.

The longevity of a modern diesel is still being field tested with its expensive/technical smog reducing systems, there is no guarantee the same longevity or cheap maintenance cost will be there on a modern diesel motor. Then there is the change in diesel fuel itself that may contribute to this. I personally have seen way to many problems with diesel motors from Ford and Chevy over the last 4 years from good friends that were sick at the end costs of repair bills. All of these trucks had less than 75k on them and had major issues. Perhaps the next generation of these clean diesels have worked out the bugs but we won't know until we see them with significantly more miles on them.

The sticker price on these things is so inflated, its insane. And most people do not know, that the "actual dealer cost" is nothing in the same as the "dealer invoice" (dealer invoice is the biggest scam ever played on the population). Dealer actual cost is, the fake invoice price, less dealer incentives, not consumer incentives, less dealer "hold back" and dealer allowances from the manufacturer. At the end of the day these trucks are somewhat in demand, I have only seen one in my area sold in the last 45 days, and with that said, I think the "demand is a hoax", they may get in demand, but right now, that is not the case in LA. The moral of this story is, if you know all these numbers and you do not get into a hurry to buy any vehicle, you can get a way better deal than most. At the end of the day, most dealers will offer you nothing for a trade and want good money for there car, on an avg trade worth 30K and a new one close to that price, most dealers are making 6K to 12K on each car, depending on how smart the buyer is, and how well versed he is in negotiating.

So to answer your post is it worth it, well I think it was for my deal, but if someone walked in, and lost 4-6K on there trade, and paid 2K under sticker, I'd say no car/truck is worth it, no matter the mileage. But I brought a buyer for my trade with me, and had the dealer do the paper work, got the full tax credit on my trade, and bought the Ram around 8450.00 under sticker, that to me was a good deal. Not great, but good.

http://fightingchance.com/pricing.php

Last edited by Mystro; 11-08-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Electrickone

Well for the record " I'm not selling a darn thing" that link has enough info on it, that a smart person should be able to get the just of, how the dealers screw you. Without buying anything from that site.

I have had a lot of new cars in my life, and I have yet to find any car salesman, that I can trust. I have a family member that is a car salesman, and the last time I asked him to get me a price, it was higher than what the dealership had advertized online, then after I asked him, wtf, he said he did not want to sell me a car. Car salesmen are just like lawyers, they would sell there souls to get a buck out of your pocket. Much less a dealer.

Personally, I talk with 3-4 dealers, get them working against one another, find out what they will not take for a truck, and that tells me where the line is price wise, get one of them to go below that number, and that is normally a pretty good deal (and then deduct rebates). Is it worth my time, yeah it is if it saves me money. Thats my ten cents

Originally Posted by Mystro
So you are "selling" true dealer pricing with your link?.... ROFL
Yea, there sure are suckers out there being exploited from their car buying inexperience.

Moral of the story: Buy what truck you like. Make the experience fun and put a value on how much your time is worth beating your local dealerships up for a discount. It also depends on if you have a working relationship with a dealer you like and trust. That may be good enough for them to earn your business with a fair enough price.

The old diesel verses gas debate was simpler before the diesel motors got all clean and technical. A older diesel would run forever and was relatively simple to maintain. If I needed a towing rig today, I would buy a older Cummings and delicate it as a tow rig.

The longevity of a modern diesel is still being field tested with its expensive/technical smog reducing systems, there is no guarantee the same longevity or cheap maintenance cost will be there on a modern diesel motor. Then there is the change in diesel fuel itself that may contribute to this. I personally have seen way to many problems with diesel motors from Ford and Chevy over the last 4 years from good friends that were sick at the end costs of repair bills. All of these trucks had less than 75k on them and had major issues. Perhaps the next generation of these clean diesels have worked out the bugs but we won't know until we see them with significantly more miles on them.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Electrickone
Default 1/2 tank of fuel gone

The first 1/4 tank got 200 miles, the second 1/4 the od says125, total of 325 on a 1/2 tank.
So unless the gauge runs to the left, it should get around 650 per tank, not broken in.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Blueball
Rookie

Owned one since August. Over twice the gas mileage my 2003 4.7L got on its best day.

I tow and haul .. probably more than I should with a half ton. Doesn't even break a sweat.

The turbo lag is significant. At an intersection .. I go from "1.5 seconds of nothing" .. to "smoking the back tires" .. with nothing in between. If it wasn't for traction control, it would be a lot worse. Possibly dangerous. But once the turbo spools up and your moving forward .. you're actually REALLY moving! Better than I expected from 240HP.

The stock wrangler SR-A 20" tires are utter garbage. In the rain I put it in 4WD so I don't die in an intersection waiting for tire grip.

I'll be swapping for winters soon ... then I'm switching to yokohama Parada spec-x tires next spring.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?