Ram Eco Diesel Discuss topics specific to the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Electrickone
Brother, I can easily put half a football in the gas door, its not that a real cap won't fit................
Hey bud, you made a comment about the goodyear tires, while not Michelins they aren't the price either. I too prefer Michelins but only good for 1 year, you mist put on a pile of mileage cause I got 42,000 miles on my 2012. While not the 50,000-60,000 from Michelins I don't cll that all that bad.
Plastic gas cap? Wow, seems kinda trivial don't you think. And someone else complaining about not being able to run a drill from the 110 outlet? Don't you guys think maybe that outlet is to matbe plug in an electric razor,or computer, iPad on something small like that?
Don't want to start a confrontation here but I think you're all complaining about little nickle and dime stuff. Oh, and big oversize tires, performance chips that everyone knows does NOT usually increase mileage? Guarantee unless you go back 10 yrs before all the big pollution controls regardless of your mileage it better than anything comparable you ever got before.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Brother, I can easily put half a football in the gas door, its not that a real cap won't fit................

It is that a REAL cap won't fit. I measure roughly 5/8" between fillers, find a traditional cap that doesn't extend that far outside of the hole it covers.

Per Ram Engineering:

"Mike Cairns, who heads Ram Trucks Engineering assured me this little plastic cover is not necessary once the truck is screwed together and shipped out of the plant. They run all of their durability tests without this piece, or any other type of cover, in fact. In regular use the dual trap door design and rubber gasket on the inside of the filler door conspire to provide all of the necessary dirt, dust and moisture sealing that's required.
But he also said it's not hurting anything to keep the plastic cap or purchase an aftermarket cap, however why wear a cap if you don't have
to?"

"The reason no cap is offered is so they could place both fill locations within the same fuel door for owner convenience."

and they are basically following the trend, from a PowerStroke Forum:

"At work we have a new fleet of fords, they all have no fuel cap... It's very common now."

Although, due to demand, 3rd party companies are designing undersized ones that will fit:

http://www.genosgarage.com/CAPLESS-F.../#.VG4YYnl0w3F

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dust-Cap-Magnetic-Fuel-Cover-2013-2014-Dodge-Ram-eco-Diesel-Cummins-6-7L-V6/221607451251?_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3D2f7ded68a8434d1caecd8c9a07082c1e%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D221434377951

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-Dodge-Ram-Custom-CNC-Gas-Cap-Cummins-6-7L-3-0-EcoDiesel/111486634139?_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3D859627bf11714415bcef7563759f3e6d%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D221434377951

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-20-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Electrickone
Default No I do not think its trivial

Bud,

If I was going to buy a set of tires, and for 50.00 more you get a way better product, then...... As for the mileage, on Goodyear Wranglers on a light weight Jeep Patriot, we get less than 16K miles, and since the truck has 160K miles on it, and several sets of GY's its a fact. When I saw these tires on the Ram, I was not really thrilled. F250's come with Continentals another junk tire.

Trivial, no I do not agree, the gas cap is a joke, and while I did see the Mods reply, the cheesie gasket on the gas door, and dual flap, its not what I would expect on this truck. As for the power outlet, it will not support a larger laptop, as for the drill guy, if you think your going to plug in a drill, good luck with that..... The fact is, for this kind of money, you would think it would have a few nicer things, that other trucks have stock, and are not added or should I say Gouged for on a sticker price. Easy things like programming the heated mirrors to come on auto, same with the heated seats, and turning on the heat, while trivial to you, it sucks to have to crank the truck up and hit all these *****, when on Fords and most others, its automatic..... Just my ten cents.......

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Hey bud, you made a comment about the goodyear tires, while not Michelins they aren't the price either. I too prefer Michelins but only good for 1 year, you mist put on a pile of mileage cause I got 42,000 miles on my 2012. While not the 50,000-60,000 from Michelins I don't cll that all that bad.
Plastic gas cap? Wow, seems kinda trivial don't you think. And someone else complaining about not being able to run a drill from the 110 outlet? Don't you guys think maybe that outlet is to matbe plug in an electric razor,or computer, iPad on something small like that?
Don't want to start a confrontation here but I think you're all complaining about little nickle and dime stuff. Oh, and big oversize tires, performance chips that everyone knows does NOT usually increase mileage? Guarantee unless you go back 10 yrs before all the big pollution controls regardless of your mileage it better than anything comparable you ever got before.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Electrickone
Default You got the point, its in your post

Point is, you just spent $40,000 in US dollars, and now you get to go buy a gas cap. That should say it all. The ease of filling for consumers is what, unscrewing a gas cap? The door flap is not what I would count on to keep stuff out of the tank, and dual flaps in the pipe, if dust gets in the area of the pipe does that not get down said pipe when you fuel? I have a good question for you, what happens if you forget the door open, and it rains?
There is no way you can explain a cap of some kind, for the money this truck cost.....Just saying.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
It is that a REAL cap won't fit. I measure roughly 5/8" between fillers, find a traditional cap that doesn't extend that far outside of the hole it covers.

Per Ram Engineering:

"Mike Cairns, who heads Ram Trucks Engineering assured me this little plastic cover is not necessary once the truck is screwed together and shipped out of the plant. They run all of their durability tests without this piece, or any other type of cover, in fact. In regular use the dual trap door design and rubber gasket on the inside of the filler door conspire to provide all of the necessary dirt, dust and moisture sealing that's required.
But he also said it's not hurting anything to keep the plastic cap or purchase an aftermarket cap, however why wear a cap if you don't have
to?"

"The reason no cap is offered is so they could place both fill locations within the same fuel door for owner convenience."

and they are basically following the trend, from a PowerStroke Forum:

"At work we have a new fleet of fords, they all have no fuel cap... It's very common now."

Although, due to demand, 3rd party companies are designing undersized ones that will fit:

http://www.genosgarage.com/CAPLESS-F.../#.VG4YYnl0w3F

Dust Cap Magnetic Fuel Cover 2013 2014 Dodge RAM Eco Diesel Cummins 6 7L V6 | eBay

2013 2014 Dodge RAM Custom CNC Gas Cap Cummins 6 7L 3 0 Ecodiesel | eBay

Old 11-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Bud,

If I was going to buy a set of tires, and for 50.00 more you get a way better product, then...... As for the mileage, on Goodyear Wranglers on a light weight Jeep Patriot, we get less than 16K miles, and since the truck has 160K miles on it, and several sets of GY's its a fact. When I saw these tires on the Ram, I was not really thrilled. F250's come with Continentals another junk tire.

Trivial, no I do not agree, the gas cap is a joke, and while I did see the Mods reply, the cheesie gasket on the gas door, and dual flap, its not what I would expect on this truck. As for the power outlet, it will not support a larger laptop, as for the drill guy, if you think your going to plug in a drill, good luck with that..... The fact is, for this kind of money, you would think it would have a few nicer things, that other trucks have stock, and are not added or should I say Gouged for on a sticker price. Easy things like programming the heated mirrors to come on auto, same with the heated seats, and turning on the heat, while trivial to you, it sucks to have to crank the truck up and hit all these *****, when on Fords and most others, its automatic..... Just my ten cents.......
I agree, If I only got 16,000 miles I'd be upset too. I'm just saying my Wranglers hit the wear bars at 42,000 miles. This on a ram 1500 with a 50 gal. tank, pump, tool box. Also ocasionally tow a 4,000 lb boat.
My wifes taurau, 2010 came with no gas tank cap. Never bothered me yet.
Been a ford guy all my life. In 2012 they tried shoving the eco-boost crap down my throat. Bought the Ram, best move I ever made!! All I can say if the lack of a gas cap bothers you that much go buy a ford or chevy. As for me, I had fords 40 yrs, no more for me.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Point is, you just spent $40,000 in US dollars, and now you get to go buy a gas cap. That should say it all. The ease of filling for consumers is what, unscrewing a gas cap? The door flap is not what I would count on to keep stuff out of the tank, and dual flaps in the pipe, if dust gets in the area of the pipe does that not get down said pipe when you fuel? I have a good question for you, what happens if you forget the door open, and it rains?
There is no way you can explain a cap of some kind, for the money this truck cost.....Just saying.
Oh, I'm not disputing you and I agree it's cheezy not to include a cap, albeit a small one. I'm simply quoting what the official Ram explanation is, showing Ford has chosen to do the same and throwing out a few links of some for sale.

Personally I found a rubber stopper in one of my toolboxes that works for me...

Old 11-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Electrickone
Default Let me clear things up

The gas cap is not that big a deal the just of it is: Its a cheesie deal on a 40K truck, and even thou some other makers have no cap, if someone else is jumping off a bridge, do you jump too? Let me put it another way, your friends and co workers are all around your new ride, and one of them opens up your gas cap, and says, hey look, your new high dollar ride came with a ten cent gas cap....Now does that make sense to you guys? Its nothing I will loose sleep over, its just chicken poop.

The Ford trucks are better built, I have had many, and in day to day driving you notice it. Look under your Ram and see how much they spent on under coat, there is none. My truck is less than 1000 miles and it has sq-weeks in it already, its just not the same standard of truck. Since this is the 1st half ton, you gotta go dodge......

Old 12-13-2014, 03:21 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Bud,

Actually I drove my wifes 2011 Ford Taurus the other day, a rare occurance. Guess what.....no gas cap!!!

Old 12-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Electrickone

That is why I said, if someone else is going to jump off a bridge you gonna go jump too. I do not get the no cap deal, depending on a gasket on your fuel door, to keep moisture out and rain/wash water, on an engine that cost this kind of money, arguing over Dodge not using one, seems trivial. I will be installing one, but the moral is, for this kind of money, it should have one.

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Actually I drove my wifes 2011 Ford Taurus the other day, a rare occurance. Guess what.....no gas cap!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Talking

Well thats what I would of done if it bothered me that much. Personally I like fliping the door open and not needing to mess with a cap, so I guess we're both happy.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?