Ram Eco Diesel Discuss topics specific to the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Actually I drove my wifes 2011 Ford Taurus the other day, a rare occurance. Guess what.....no gas cap!!!

That's the first I've heard of a gasser not coming with a cap...

Old 12-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Blueball
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until just recently (here in canada) your gas cap was tested during your emission test and could fail .. costing you a gas cap and another $35 test.

Our infinitely wise gov't has now done away with tailpipe testing (rendering all that invested equipment moot) and now relies solely on ODB readings. If your engine light is on FOR ANY REASON you will fail your e-test.

Not sure how this thread got so far off topic..

I have now had my ecodiesel for 6 months and I've had ZERO problems of any kind.
Ok, one little thing irks me a little. I've set the truck up to use KM vs MPH but when I set my cruise speed it shows as MPH. If that is the only thing I have to complain about, I must be happy .. LOL

Now where is the MOD chips and Alcohol/water injection systems ... Lets get this diesel to the next level :>

Old 12-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Blueball
Rookie

BTW .. some arab idiot opened my DEF cap and attempted to stuff the diesel pump into it. Thanks Chrysler .. for making it too small of a hole for it to fit. Although, I bet some idiot (possibly female) will fill the DEF with diesel anyway.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Default Also F-150

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
That's the first I've heard of a gasser not coming with a cap...
Yup, just like NASCAR!!
Also Electrickone, hate to break the news to ya but I also have a 2014 F-150 that I seldom drive, the crew uses it. Guess what?????? No gas cap, so it's not just a Ram thing. Suspect GM will follow suite soon, they usually do within a yr or two.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Electrickone
Default My 2011 F150 had that, not the same.

Ford has more like a nascar style closure on there filler. Not a door style
flap with a ten cent plastic insert. In other words, its not the same. Personally, I think they should all come with a gas cap.

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Yup, just like NASCAR!!
Also Electrickone, hate to break the news to ya but I also have a 2014 F-150 that I seldom drive, the crew uses it. Guess what?????? No gas cap, so it's not just a Ram thing. Suspect GM will follow suite soon, they usually do within a yr or two.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Electrickone
Default Actual Mileage

I have about 1600 miles on it, I do not drive hard, but I do not do the speed limit either. 60% Hwy, and 40% city/country driving (45mph long runs between stops). Keep in mind, in Louisiana, the only hills we have are interstate ramps... so its pretty much flat. Avg Mpg, is at 24mpg both by the ecu and the calculator.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Electrickone
I have about 1600 miles on it, I do not drive hard, but I do not do the speed limit either. 60% Hwy, and 40% city/country driving (45mph long runs between stops). Keep in mind, in Louisiana, the only hills we have are interstate ramps... so its pretty much flat. Avg Mpg, is at 24mpg both by the ecu and the calculator.
That's one thing I've noticed is that the ECU is pretty dead on these days. The reading on my old '02 Grand Cherokee was always about 3 MPG "optimistic" and my '04 Ram tended to lie by about 2 MPG. I've hand calculated my '14 2500 Cummins since day one and I come up with 19.72 and the computer says 19.7...

Old 01-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Boo Radley
Professional

we have a mechanic at work (ford dealership) traded his ecoboost in for a ram ecodiesel and he loves it, about 12000 miles on it so far and he aint had a single issue.
he was getting so many people coming in to look at ecoboosts asking him so many questions about his ram that the owners asked him not to park on the lot when he is at work.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

[QUOTE=dirtydog;3126638]24.5mpg mostly city and 31mpg mostly highway. damn. but we all know, a tuner would reduce that severely..lol

Man, they do sit really low. Whats up with that?[/QUOTE

Hey its a half ton, what do you expect?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:23 PM
BB_cuda

Many posts back, someone was comparing old diesel longevity to modern diesel longevity. A big factor to consider for this 3.0L Turbo diesel is EGR. EGR is the death of many diesels across the board. Old school ones didn't have to eat the soot from their exhausts. My point is even if you are a shrewd negotiator where you get a ED for only 2 grand higher than the hemi equipped one, you better think about the much higher maintenance costs associated with the modern diesel emissions systems. In other makes, people are having to pull intake manifolds for cleaning, walnut shell blasting of inlet ports of the heads, changing out of leaking urea tanks, unplugging of the urea injector from crystallized urea. Please investigate the use of oil catch cans. The big problem seen is carbon build up intake from combo of oil from crank case ventilation system and soot from EGR.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying that this 3.0L ecodiesel does these things but it is prevalent in other modern diesels. It takes 40 to 50 kmiles (BMW diesel) to see it just as you're coming off warranty. Please go google "CBU diesel" and see for yourself.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?