Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Turn Signals, Hazards, Brake Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems like a ground problem. Check trailer wiring harness if you have one. Also I suggest buying a Haynes manual. It has wire schematics in it, so you can trace the grounds.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Mastodon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any solutions to this problem I am having the EXACT same issue, I have REAR lights that work but that is it, NO Reverse NO Signals NO Brakes, I tested the 5 pin tow package and its getting Brake lights Rear Lights and Reverse but no hazards or signals. Any ideas?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Make sure the bulbs are good.... do any of the front lights work? (turn signals/hazards) Also check grounds.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM
SoGone12

Originally Posted by Mastodon
Are there any solutions to this problem I am having the EXACT same issue, I have REAR lights that work but that is it, NO Reverse NO Signals NO Brakes, I tested the 5 pin tow package and its getting Brake lights Rear Lights and Reverse but no hazards or signals. Any ideas?
I got my lights to all work by checking the wiring harness behind the wheel well on the drivers side. You don't need to but if you jack it up and take off the drivers side wheel you will see a small trap door panel close to the bottom of the wheel well. Behind it is the harness that connects your rear lighting system. Mine was all frayed and making little to no connections. I have a 1998 Dakota v6 3.9l.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Mastodon
Default Still stumped

I tried to follow the wires all the way to the lights, and other than behind the tank I was unable to see any issues. I did notice that my hasard light fuse in the engine compartment fuse box is NOT getting power, good fuse but no power could this explain all of my issues? If so what would you suggest?

So as of now
-NO Turn signals (not even a ticker sound on the dash)
-NO Reverse Lights
-NO Brake Lights

Working
-Headlights
-Tailights
-Trailer Brake Lights

Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull the covers off the column, and see if you aren't having some issues in there. If you have tilt wheel, the wires like to pull out of the connector... and things stop working.

Also, you probably have two separate problems there..... (brake/turn, and reverse lights.)

Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Purple97Ram

I am having the same problems on my 97 1500. Third brake light, backup lights, and taillights work but main brake lights, hazards and turn signals don't. All front-end light functions are working. After reading some threads and looking at the diagrams in my Haynes Manuel, I decided to try the multifunction switch, brake switch, and headlight switch from the junk yard with no improvement. I even checked both multifunction switches for continuity and my old one had a problem with #11. I have the factory tow pkg so I thought that might eliminate a hack job but I have not checked the ground. I just sign up here so I am a newbie but I have been trying to read different threads for a while and it seems there could be a few different culprits here.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Purple97Ram

Also, when I tilted the wheel all the way down to take off the shrouds it stuck there, anyone know how to unstick it? Do I have to take off the ignition switch? I did the same thing to the 95 1500 in the junk yard, oops.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Stuck there? As in, won't turn, or, you can't tilt it back up?? Should be able to just pull the release lever, and it should come right back up..... should....

Check where the trailer harness hits the rear harness.... (trace if from the plug back to find where they link.) Known problem area on these trucks.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Purple97Ram

Yea, it turns fine it is just stuck in the down position. I can move the tilt lever but it does not want to release. The funny thing is the fact I did the same thing to the one in the junkyard. If it hadn't started raining I would have experimented with it a while.

I'll check out the harness when I can this week and post what I find. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Turn Signals, Hazards, Brake Lights not working