Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Fixing the liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Ramcharger1987
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing the liftgate

In the past few years the fiberglass on my hatch of my Ramcharger had been seperating and tearing. I recently got a new hatch and have installed it onto my Ramcharger. However it will not latch. I have tested the mechanisim and it works fine using the key button but it will not latch onto the truck. Is there some point I need to adjust on the truck itself to allow the hatch to latch?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Artsramcharger
Question Ramcharger liftgate problem also

I have a 91 Ramcharger that have the same problem. The hinges started sagging and started cracking the fiberglass. I took the door off tonight finding out I had to cut the wires there is no connector for the wires. Anyways have the door in my garage right now. I had to use a dremel and cutting wheel to cut away the fiberglass overlay to see whats going on in there. The bracket is pulling away out of its setting. I used some gorilla opoxy and with clamp to hold bracket back into where I thing it is supposed to be concidering the other side was just starting to crack. So I used other side as guide as where it should be. I dont think this will work by itself. That is alot of weight for that small section that is trying to hold the huge liftgate. Tomorrow I am going to try to bracket in some kinda of extra support. Looking at it tonight have no clue how I am going to do that with out getting in way of it shutting properly. Hoping tomorrow will bring some new ideals. Will let you all know how this goes.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Artsramcharger
Default Ramcharger hatch

Originally Posted by Artsramcharger
I have a 91 Ramcharger that have the same problem. The hinges started sagging and started cracking the fiberglass. I took the door off tonight finding out I had to cut the wires there is no connector for the wires. Anyways have the door in my garage right now. I had to use a dremel and cutting wheel to cut away the fiberglass overlay to see whats going on in there. The bracket is pulling away out of its setting. I used some gorilla opoxy and with clamp to hold bracket back into where I thing it is supposed to be concidering the other side was just starting to crack. So I used other side as guide as where it should be. I dont think this will work by itself. That is alot of weight for that small section that is trying to hold the huge liftgate. Tomorrow I am going to try to bracket in some kinda of extra support. Looking at it tonight have no clue how I am going to do that with out getting in way of it shutting properly. Hoping tomorrow will bring some new ideals. Will let you all know how this goes.
Well it did not work, perhaps mine were to far cracked but probably would have held if i did not put the shock arms back on. When u close the hatch those arms put ALOT of pressure against the hinges. Soon as I can find a good door to replace it with will not be putting shocks back on will use a stick to hold open or something, these doors are way to hard to find to keep happening. If anyone has any ideas or comments feel free to email me at artie1078@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Fixing the liftgate