Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

1990 Ramcharger engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 AM
cgptex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Ramcharger engine swap

My son and I have been working on his 1990. We made a good buy 3 years ago. Perfiect body, good interior, current 318 runns good with no oil leaks or smoke, all for $2500.00. We have rebuilt the front end, resprung the rear end, and rebuilt the brakes. I was wondering if anyoone has changed out the motor and trans for a new Magnum engine and trans. How hard would it be to swap the computer for this swap? We want a little more power, but must maintain the the emissions to pass current EPA rules here in San Antonio. That means no carbs.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2005, 05:16 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: 1990 Ramcharger engine swap

It shouldn't be that bad of a swap. 91-93 Ramchargers came with Magnum engines (Magnum 318's were available from 91-93 while Magnum 360's were available from 92-93). Dig around the local junkyards and look for the wiring harness and computer. If you can't find the computer, you could always go for a Mopar Performance comp.

Tranny wise, it'll be the same unit as you have now, with one exception. The Magnums have a crank sensor which sits between the engine and tranny (basically a proximity switch that counts small metal plates welded onto the flywheel). You'll either have to notch the tranny bell housing on your current tranny for it, or get the tranny out of the donor vehicle or from an aftermarket source. I seem to recall a how-to on notching the tranny for the crank sensor, so if you do a search on Google, I'm sure you'll find it.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Augie Dog
Rookie

Captex
If you are looking for more power you could swap in a 4bt / 3.3 Cummins or a 6bt / 5.9 Cummins. I would go with the 4bt because you can get close to 30 mpg with this application. The 5.9 is good for up to 22 mpg. Oh did I mention both engine have capability of over 500 hp and up to 1000 ft.lbs of torque. Would that be enough power for you?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Artsramcharger

Great question and some good responses. I am wanting to do the same thing. I have a 91 RC with a 360 4brl carb with 250,000 miles and runs like 100,000 miles but want more power and better gas mileage so would love to drop a low mileage 5.7 hemi into my RC but worried on how hard that will be.

Quick Reply: 1990 Ramcharger engine swap