Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

I think that the market needs a new Ramcharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think that the market needs a new Ramcharger

While the modern Chrysler SUVs are great looking and great running vehicles, they are a long way from what the Ramcharger was to the industry.

Click here to read my thoughts on a new Ramcharger on the DF front page.

Do you think that a low priced, Durango-based Ram brand SUV with the bigger power and lower price due to less goodies would sell?

Last edited by BadStratRT; 05-14-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Add 3/4 ton axles to the equation (power wagon sourced?), a G56, and 12 years later I will buy one off the used market for sure!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
walter2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new Ramcharger

I think that this would be a great idea. I have noted that there is a big difference in the early 2000's durangos to later 2000's and then to the 2010's. They increase the electronic wizardry and decrease on true functionality. I think a stripped down version offered in a V6 and V8 engine 4x4 package would be great!!! I would buy one. The main reason I don't want a new durango is that they have lost their roots. I am not the least worried about using my 2001 in a field (granted partly due to age) or pulling stumps. Can not picture doig that with a new Durango.
I LOVE the 4x4 on our Durango. It has saved my butt on many a snowy wintry night in Upstate NY. I agree that I would be worried about throwing a new Durango in to the fray (though likely more capable) like I do my 2001.
The things I need: seating for 6-7 people comfortaby
4x4 that kicks butt in snow
reliability and power
No fear of messing up a $40,000 vehicle when I need to use it as an SUV.

Bring on the Durango in Ramcharger trim!!!
Too bad they are going to kill off the Durango........ They are nutz!!!!
Bet you they would sell more in a Ramcharger package at a low tech price!!

Thanks for posting this!!
Walter2

Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 AM
lvphotos
Veteran

I have seen the export four-door ram "suburban " in 1998 body style why is this full-size here in the states?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM
valenzia_92
Amateur

I think dodge needs to build a fullsize , the previous durango was bigger than the new one that is more premium suv oriented , there should be a hardcore suv based on the ram chassis if you ask me.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM
valenzia_92
Amateur

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Add 3/4 ton axles to the equation (power wagon sourced?), a G56, and 12 years later I will buy one off the used market for sure!
a suv based on the power wagon chassis and drivetrain would be awesome.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 PM
CaymanComm

Great thread. I have owned a 78, 83 and 93 RamCharger and a 98 and 2011 Durango. When I bought the 93 I knew it was the last model year and that they were killing it off. 1992 was the year that GMC upgraded the Suburban and brought out the Tahoe and Yukon models (yuk!). That year saw all of those departing from the typical big, workhorse SUV and starting to morph into the luxury SUV and crossover market today. The 93 I had had hardly any bells and whistles compared to the 93 Chevy SUV's.

I complained every year since 1993 that there wasn't a Dodge vehicle to replace the RC. Ford was the closest to come up with a reasonable substitute with the Explorer/Expedition (and Excursion fiasco) models which captured most of the public safety fleet sales. I jumped at the first gen Durango and always said if it had been 10% larger or based on the Ram BR pickup base, it would have been a killer vehicle. The second gen Durango was disgusting and an embarassment to the manufacturer.
I love the 2011 Durango but would I ever take it off road....not a chance in hell. I will use my Jeep TJ for that!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:22 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

yup and if they said that they "had to" have the Durango they should have offered a 2 door version I hate 4 door vehicles! My 19 yo son daily drives an 89 Ramcharger and knows that if he ever gets tired of it, that I will take it off his hands; dont see it happenin yet....

Quick Reply: I think that the market needs a new Ramcharger