Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Replacing Ignition Switch

Old 02-03-2016, 02:12 PM
pmichel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Ignition Switch

98 Grand Caravan w/ 198k miles. Ignition switch is worn out. You can pull the key out while the switch is in the ACC position, thus draining the battery if not noticed for a day or two.

Is it possible to replace the key cylinder only (assuming this is what causes this)?

As always - thanks for the help...

Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 PM
pmichel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I found that the key cylinder can be replaced and is available at RockAuto.com.

I also found someone in another forum who had their Dodge dealer rebuild their key cylinder so they didn't have to re-key or use 2 keys. Cost them about $100.

Anyone ever had the doors re-keyed on their Caravan? Just trying to see what the most economical path is here...

Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this helps but my parents' 1989 Caravan had the cylinder stuck in on and they couldn't turn off the engine. AAA came out and replaced the cylinder with a GM cylinder. My parents were too cheap to get the van back to a one-key setup so they ran with 2 keys for the rest of that van's life.

If your car has remote keyless entry it might not be worth it to get the cylinder re-keyed. But if you use the key to unlock the doors you might want to call your local Chrysler dealership or even a locksmith to see how much a re-key would cost. From experience it is annoying having separate door and ignition keys but we got used to it. There's a reason GM stopped making its cars with separate door and ignition keys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Replacing Ignition Switch