Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 Status OverHeat Problem

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
goreland77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Status OverHeat Problem

Just stumbled across this forum and I'm having a problem with my 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L:

It began overheating and the heater went out at the exact same time. I first thought it was thethermostat and immediatley replaced it. Car still overheated and still had no hot air coming out of the heater.

I then flushed my heater core and it looked good, it looked pretty clean and free of blockage so I wasn't suprised when thatstill didn't fix the problem. I then flushed the cooling system at home using a flush kit and the problem was still not fixed.

My biggest suspiscion was then my head gasket, but my coolant level has maintained and Ihave absolutley no coolant in my oil.

At this point, the one thing I think I know for sure is that there is a coolant flow problem- At least I assume so because I'm obviously not getting any circulation to the heater core. I've turned my attention to the water pump and have begun the process of taking everything apart so I can get in there and replace the pump. I always thought that a water pump would leak if it has gone bad, and mine hasn't leaked. However, I've been told by others with mechanical experience that your water pump doesn't have to leak for it to be bad.

I'm hoping somebody in here can tell me if I'm on the right path, or maybe even bring something to my attention that I may have missed.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
goreland77
Default RE: 98 Status OverHeat Problem

A quick update:

I just pulled my water pump and it appears to be in perfect working order. I am completley stumped as to what this could be.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:35 PM
frankie12
Veteran

have you checked all pipes coming from the radiator to see if they are frozen (I don;t know where you live so; if live where it is warm you don't have to worry about that)?

Old 12-06-2007, 02:40 PM
goreland77

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's still too warm where I'm at for anything to freeze.

I'm starting to wonder if I've over-thought the problem and perhaps I've just got a flow problem in my radiator, although I would assume if that's the case I'd at least have some leakage, which I do not.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 PM
lynn.m.rasmussen
Default Help!

Originally Posted by goreland77
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's still too warm where I'm at for anything to freeze.

I'm starting to wonder if I've over-thought the problem and perhaps I've just got a flow problem in my radiator, although I would assume if that's the case I'd at least have some leakage, which I do not.
I'm so glad I found this forum, I just began along the same journey with a 1998 dodge stratus 2.4L that began overheating yesterday morning after the first freezing night. I suspect the water pump after seeing the thermostat still circulates properly. I drained and refilled the antifreeze, only to have it leak this morning. My plan is to take my car and have it lifted to get the petcock tightened (I don't think I tightened it enough), and from there have it checked by a mechanic to see what the problem is.

However there is the problem of me being a "financially challenged" college student who knows VERY LITTLE about cars (this being my first one), so If anyone can point me in a better direction I would greatly appreciate it! HELP!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Rutdawg

Originally Posted by goreland77
Just stumbled across this forum and I'm having a problem with my 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L:

It began overheating and the heater went out at the exact same time. I first thought it was thethermostat and immediatley replaced it. Car still overheated and still had no hot air coming out of the heater.

I then flushed my heater core and it looked good, it looked pretty clean and free of blockage so I wasn't suprised when thatstill didn't fix the problem. I then flushed the cooling system at home using a flush kit and the problem was still not fixed.

My biggest suspiscion was then my head gasket, but my coolant level has maintained and Ihave absolutley no coolant in my oil.

At this point, the one thing I think I know for sure is that there is a coolant flow problem- At least I assume so because I'm obviously not getting any circulation to the heater core. I've turned my attention to the water pump and have begun the process of taking everything apart so I can get in there and replace the pump. I always thought that a water pump would leak if it has gone bad, and mine hasn't leaked. However, I've been told by others with mechanical experience that your water pump doesn't have to leak for it to be bad.

I'm hoping somebody in here can tell me if I'm on the right path, or maybe even bring something to my attention that I may have missed.

Thanks in advance!
98 Stratus , Same problem.

Changed heater core hoses and thermostat. Car was not overheating until I changed thermostat. Yes , that can be bad , will check tomorrow. But , know something else is wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Status OverHeat Problem