3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EXHAUST MANIFOLD BROKEN BOLTS ON A 2004 RAM 1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:08 PM
hemidel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST MANIFOLD BROKEN BOLTS ON A 2004 RAM 1500

Man what the hell!!!! I just spent a grand on tires, another $200 on changing the spark plugs and another $100 on a damexhaust check. Ok, well,have any of you all expierenced an exhaust leak due to broken bolts/studs on the exhaust manifold? I have a 2004 ram 1500 and I have been noticing a ticking on start up when the engine is cold. But after the engine warms up, the sound diminishes. I taught it might have been engine clatter or something so i didnt think anything of it. Then a buddy of mine told me it might be an exhaust leak. So, while my truck was at the dodge dealership getting the spark plugs and a belt tensioner replaced, I had them check the exhaust for a leak. A $100 check. I SPECIFICALLY asked them by doing the check, if that sound was going to stay the same and not get any worse because they have to pull this and that off. They told me no, the leak will stay the same. Don't you know the leak got worst and now it is louder. Anyways, they found 2 broken bolts on the exhaust manifold that was causing the leak. Now dodge then told me they could fix the problem by replacing those 2 bolts and the gasket. But they wanted to charge $500 freaken dollars!!!!!!!!! Have any of you all expierenced this problem? Are they charging way to much?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EXHAUST MANIFOLD BROKEN BOLTS ON A 2004 RAM 1500

Not on the Dodge, but did have it on my previous jap truck....its a pain.....sorry to hear about that....maybe someone will chime in shortly with some good advice.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 PM
tmodlin
Rookie

I am not sure what the labor is to r&r manifolds but I would imagine that you can expect an hour alone to drill and extract the broken studs. Take it to a private shop and see what they say. No need to go to the dealership for everything.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to get out of the dealership. Only use them for warranty. Find yourself a good independant. $100.00 to check the exhaust. Holy ****! What did they do?
Seriously stay far away from dealer if you can.
I have a 2003, 4.7 the exhaust manifold studs wererusted to rat ****, to the point of anyday they would break. If I waited any longer, I was afraid that the heads would have to be removed to do the studs. I paid $562.60 (in Canada) for both sides. Removed all studs, machined both manifolds,installed new gaskets and studs.
Dan

Old 02-16-2008, 10:19 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go shopping around.Make sure you choose areputable place. You don't want just anybody doing this kind of work.You want a very skilled tech doing this! If you get some hack in there. It can get very very expensive for you!.
Dan

Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 PM
hemidel
Professional

Thanks for the info... Although I did take my truck to the muffler shop where the installed my exhaust and there quote was about $200 dollars cheaper than the dealership. Ill take that info into consideration about staying away from the dealership. My extended warranty covered the belt tensioner so since it was there i had them check the exhaust. Thats the last time I'll go there for repairs or maintenace out of my pocket. Plus they damaged one of my brand new tires. So I gave the manager hell.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

From what you describe, it sounds to me like the tech tried to tighten the bolts and broke them off. It got louder after the "inspection" is what leads me to think the teck screwed up!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Uh---just a thought. Since the manifold has to be pulled to do the repairs, and it really wouldn't surprise me if you also have a near similar situation on the other side, have the manifolds pulled and replace all the manifold bolts with studs. I don't know if a company currently offers a "kit" yet to do this, but if not, it wouldn't take much to assemble one on your own, just make sure they're rated for exhaust (hardened). Don't use stainless as there is a good chance they will gaull during installation.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:31 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

+1^^^

Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
hemidel
Professional

Yah, thats what i was thinking. When they did the inspection, they probably screwd around with it that made it worst.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST MANIFOLD BROKEN BOLTS ON A 2004 RAM 1500