2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Airbag Light

Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
coledaddy1979
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light

hello,

i have a 2003 dodge dakota quad cab 3.9 v6. my airbag light is on.

i took it to my local mechinc and had it hooked up to a diagnostic machine and the result was "no codes found", i also went to autozone and there little device came back with "no codes found" also.

the dealer tells me that if there is a light on that there is a code that is stored and that their device will find the code.

my question is- is the dealer right or are they trying to do their own guessing game?

also if the light is on does that mean my airbags will not deploy? my fear is that i will be going down the road at 55 and these things will deploy with no cause.

any info will be a help
thankyou

Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Batmans

Originally Posted by coledaddy1979
hello,

i have a 2003 dodge dakota quad cab 3.9 v6. my airbag light is on.

i took it to my local mechinc and had it hooked up to a diagnostic machine and the result was "no codes found", i also went to autozone and there little device came back with "no codes found" also.

the dealer tells me that if there is a light on that there is a code that is stored and that their device will find the code.

my question is- is the dealer right or are they trying to do their own guessing game?

also if the light is on does that mean my airbags will not deploy? my fear is that i will be going down the road at 55 and these things will deploy with no cause.

any info will be a help
thankyou

Good question. Mine is on too and I have a 99' R/T. I pulled codes and nothing also. I work at Autozone too, lol. Maybe its a Dakota thing :P

Old 09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "universal" type code readers are only designed to read PCM codes. The will not read other controllers i.e. ABS, ABM, CTM etc.

Federal law states that codes that can contribute to increased emissions must be able to be retrieved with a universal scan tool. Everything else is up to the dealer whether or not to allow universal tools to access that info. Dodge of course, does not allow such access.

Odds are, especially if the horn/cruise/radio buttons on the steering wheel dont work, you have a bad clockspring.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:51 PM
coledaddy1979

Originally Posted by 00DakR/T
The "universal" type code readers are only designed to read PCM codes. The will not read other controllers i.e. ABS, ABM, CTM etc.

Federal law states that codes that can contribute to increased emissions must be able to be retrieved with a universal scan tool. Everything else is up to the dealer whether or not to allow universal tools to access that info. Dodge of course, does not allow such access.

Odds are, especially if the horn/cruise/radio buttons on the steering wheel dont work, you have a bad clockspring.
thankyou for the replys.
my horn, cruise and radio does work.

today i got in my truck, fired it up, and there was no airbag light, i drove into town and about 3-4 miles down the road at 45-55 mph the light came on and the ding sound, it stayed on for about 30sec then went off, about 4 mins later while im driving threw town at stop and go speeds the light comes back on and stays on the rest of the time i was out and there was time that i had to turn off truck then go into a store and fire it back up and the light was still there.

ok thankyou for all your help

Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
JollyRoger85
Professional

This might sound stupid but pull your fuse panel and make sure the airbag fuses aren't loose in there. Sometimes its the simplest thing...

Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
benzaidakota
Cool

ya so my 01 dakota started to do that and then i light just stayed on. its been on for about two years now and all of a sudden my headlights would blink off for a split second and my wipers would go one cycle and my dash lights would flicker. then it got worse my horn would go off at random and then the interior dome light would flash on. right now i have to disconnect my battery when the truck is sitting because the headlights might just turn on at any time. also my 4x4 switch stopped working recently and living in newhampshire thats gona suck. so its been in and out of many garages and after ive spent over 40 hours my self working on it this week i have lost all hope and am looking for a new car. so try and figure out wat it is now before more things start to short out.

ive heard that you can buy a new ECM and a new ETCCM or TCM and have it re-installed for your vin and itll fix it but i doubt it at this point.
good luck

Old 10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benzaidakota
ya so my 01 dakota started to do that and then i light just stayed on. its been on for about two years now and all of a sudden my headlights would blink off for a split second and my wipers would go one cycle and my dash lights would flicker. then it got worse my horn would go off at random and then the interior dome light would flash on. right now i have to disconnect my battery when the truck is sitting because the headlights might just turn on at any time. also my 4x4 switch stopped working recently and living in newhampshire thats gona suck. so its been in and out of many garages and after ive spent over 40 hours my self working on it this week i have lost all hope and am looking for a new car. so try and figure out wat it is now before more things start to short out.

ive heard that you can buy a new ECM and a new ETCCM or TCM and have it re-installed for your vin and itll fix it but i doubt it at this point.
good luck
CTM (Central Timer Module) is your problem, approx $300 dealer fix.. controls everything in the cab and cab related functions.. no need to replace the pcm (powertrain control module). that controls the engine and transmission, on the new era magnums, they have a transmission control module for the automatics

Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
tilley2491
Default just checking

does the light only come on when you turn your wheel more than 60 degrees to the left or right because thats how mine is and i have not figured out why

Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
eatdirtracing17

If you figure out a solution to this, let me know. I have the same exact problem. Everything works but airbag light is on (sometimes). Randomly comes on when accel. or turning.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
benzaidakota

so i have a 2001 dakota sport 3.9 and i just found theres a force switch behind or on some underneath the radiator support bar. i replaced and the light thats been on for two years went out. not sure if its everyone but im sure if the light turns on when you turn the wheel that there is a short in the steering wheel, i had to rip my wheel off and the wires are right next to the bottom trim so maybe a short i really wouldnt want that if the thing just goes off at random haha but ya for most its a g force switch under the radiator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Light