Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Problem?? '05 3500 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel

Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 PM
dodgergirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Problem?? '05 3500 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel

I have a '05 3500 Dodge Cummins Diesel 5.9L 4 x 4 dually. I recently got an oil change, lube and air filter changed and filled up. Then took an 8 hr road trip and two thirds way there I picked up $30 worth of diesel. Next morning I started my truck and there was white smoke blowing out of the exhaust. I shut it off immediately. The oil was down so I added some to bring the level back up. The antifreeze level was good and gauages were all good. I proceeded to go get some fuel conditioner thinking that I did pick up bad fuel on the way. Added it to a quarter tank and drove it for a bit, but had to head back home, so I filled the tank. All the way home it still blew white smoke, but only did this when starting out. On highway it never blew the white smoke. On the trip I stopped periodically to check the fluid levels and they were all good. Temp gauge good. No loss of power. However, yesterday driving it to work at stop sign starting it out it blew black smoke, lost power for about a mile and heard a brief noise that lasted about 30 seconds, then it picked up power. It still blows white smoke! I have parked it until I can get it looked at, but in the meanwhile can anyone please tell me what my truck may be experiencing so I don't get ripped off at the garage (cause I am a female)??? I hope and pray that it is not anything major!!! yikes!

Last edited by dodgergirl; 04-28-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my best guess would be a failing FCA (fuel control acuator) on the high pressure pump, coal train may have a little more insite for you, i'm sure he be back here soon

Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
pizzo
All Star

Well Coal Train is the person to talk to... But i have some insight Also.. Did you by chance drain your fuel filter housing? Did any water poor out of it... Here is a good way to test that Get a CLEAN drain pan on the drivers side just under the Axle put your drain pan.. Then on the filter housing witch is on the drivers side it will have a Yellow handle open that lever. Fuel will start to poor out...

Then take leave it open and go in to the truck and turn key on do not start.. the fuel lift pump should pump for a few seconds.... and the fuel should spray out of the hose... if you have someone with you Bump the starter it will turn on for 20 seconds or so... If none above happens its a lift pump (transfer pump)... 2005 I think its in the tank.. Your CP3 high pressure pump will draw its own fuel if the lift pump fails... But Rail pressure is low
If everything goes as planned then I would take out the FCA witch is mounted on the back of the CP3 pump and Shake it if it rattles then its Ok if not then its dirty they can be cleaned but it dont last very long so get a new one anyways.. They are at Cummins or Coal train can get you one too or lead you to great spot to get one..
Also Look at the CLEAN drain pan should have a green tinted Diesel fuel. if its Brownish or has water they will be CLEAR spots in the Diesel fuel..

You wouldn't have any Gauges would you?

Worse case You cracked a injector with so called bad fuel... That can get costly if your taking it to a shop... Water dont compress so when it get into the injector. The water has to have someplace to go usually its through the side... and leaks Diesel fuel in the engine oil...
We'll not hold it against you cause your Female but the Blue CTD is my WIFE'S truck The Red CTD is mine http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG00383.jpg

Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water dont compress
i'm not picking on you at all, but i do hear this alot, all liquid is uncompressable, just water will boil so fast at the temperature and pressure in a diesel (especially in a commonrail) it basically explodes, and thats what causes injector tip to fail, but still great points, it could also be a clogged fuel line, but definatly sounds like an over rail pressure problem, oh, and no one will pick on ya for being a female here

Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 PM
pizzo
All Star

POOR choice of words on my part... Really should fix that as to say When water is compressed in the injector it explodes the sides or you will have nozzle failure...Thanks Dodge trucker for making that clear to everyone... :THUMBSUP:

Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Sorry, just saw this.

My first thought is that you blew an injector.

Normally you'll see white smoke if it's sticking a bit, but not much black.

If the white smoke continues or gets really thick (like mosquito fogger thick) at idle, then more than likely you cracked an injector nozzle or the body.

If water got through, it does a number on the CR injectors....basically it turns the fuel stream into a high pressure water jet and that's all she wrote. Water is THE worse thing on common rail injectors.....that and excess pressure.

If that's the case, it's likely you'll need more than 1 injector.

When you bring it to the dealer (and I hate to say it, but it's your cheapest option for this part), tell them you need them to do an Injector Kill Test. If the truck is out of warranty, this will cost you about $65 for the diagnostics, but IT IS your cheapest / best option; otherwise you'll be throwing parts at it....and that gets expensive.

This allows the tech to individually shut down injectors to determine which one(s) is / are bad. When you shut down a good one, the engine stumbles and adjusts to maintain idle. When you shut down the bad one, the smoke goes away and the idle smoothes out. Then you know which are bad.

But, like l said, if it's water damage, you likely have more than 1 that is damaged.

Last edited by Coal Train; 05-04-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 PM
brettj2408
Captain

wher they filling the tanks up with diesel when you were filling? if so water probably got mixed up in the fuel you were pumping and affected your engine.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 AM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

if ur injectors turn out to be f***ed up dont buy new ones from dodge they will ask a ridicules amount of money u can get a good set of used after market ones for around the $500 ish on cummins fourm

Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by silverbullet-dodgeram
if ur injectors turn out to be f***ed up dont buy new ones from dodge they will ask a ridicules amount of money u can get a good set of used after market ones for around the $500 ish on cummins fourm
There a lot less than that when you ask the right people.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
jf_07
Default Cylinder Issues

I am having the exact same problem you are having, I have taken the truck into the diesel shop and they swapped out number six injector which did nothing. Then did a compression test on that hole and found it has only 80 psi. The valves all sit level and it gets better once it is warm so it is not a dropped seat. the only thing left to do is pull the head off and see what is going on in there.

Good Luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Problem?? '05 3500 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel