3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problem after problem. now battery dead, doors wont unlock. help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM
mexico
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry problem after problem. now battery dead, doors wont unlock. help!

just like the title said. the alternators bad went to pull it today but the trucks locked and battery is dead. key does nothing in the lock it turns but dont unlock. wtf am i supposed to do

Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A dead battery will not stop the key from mechanically turning the lock. When was the last time you actually used the key because it sounds like the rods inside the door which connect to the lock and mechanism have come loose which is why you cannot physically unlock it with the key

Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 PM
mexico
Rookie

aint never used the key, rarely lock the truck and when i do i use the fob, u may be right cuz i here a clinking noise in there

Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Buggsy
Professional

I've never had this problem, but I'd get a couple of long screwdrivers and see if I couldn't jimmy the hood open. Try going in through the grill and see if you can just get to the release.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

my truck is an 04 and it does the same thing it the battery is completely dead- reach up and manually unlatch the hood from under neath- if you can get it then use a couple of extentions and i think its a 10mm and unbolt the latch assembley--- i only know this cause mine when dead up here in northern alberta when it was -45C degrees out- ...it was no fun and i;ve never been so pissed off at a truck LOL ...and then i went out and bought a Red top battery!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM
mexico
Rookie

AHA! window was cracked... I had to push down on the winder a little and stood up on a stool and snaked my skinny little arm through the crack! good thing im only 20 and not muscular! now onto that dang alternator!

one question, is my lock broke or is it solely electric locks?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

For that, you would want to pull your door panel off and inspect the inter parts. The door panel is only held on by a couple of screws.
One up by the mirror, 2 down at the bottom, one behind the handle, and then the handle itself is a torx bit. Panel slides stright up and then comes off.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Buggsy
Professional

Originally Posted by mexico

one question, is my lock broke or is it solely electric locks?
I actually think mine is solely electric locks. When I put the key in and turn, it feels like it has far too little travel and very little resistance. I hadn't taken anything apart to confirm it, but your experience added with mine makes me think it's electric.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

electric or not, the door panel would need to come off for diagnosis. You can sit back all day and theorize how or what could be wrong, but until you actually touch and look at it, you won't know what you need or how to even fix it.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ Yep, gotta put your hands and eyes on it. Taking the skin off is not hard. Now get out there and do it!!

Quick Reply: problem after problem. now battery dead, doors wont unlock. help!