Hissing sound with A/C & defrost

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound with A/C & defrost

02 5.9 SLT

Anytime I run the A/C or defrost, I hear a hissing noise coming from behind the dash. It doesn't go away until I turn the blower off. My assumption is that my evap is on it's way out... Please tell me I'm wrong.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I've seen this when the A/C system is getting low or old. I'd start by recharging the system before ripping the dash apart.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

It's been doing this for a while, even last summer after the system was recharged. Could it be a compressor issue? I had to replace the A/C compressor 2 summers ago. I can't remember if it did this before the switch. I was on a 700 mile road trip when the compressor locked up and fried my belt. Luckily we were within a few miles of the lake we were traveling to. I had to buy a rebuilt compressor, even though I've never been a big fan of them. It was the only thing available for miles.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

The easiest way to answer that question is to pop the hood and check the compressor while the A/C is running. If its not making a noise and the noise is coming from the cab, compressor is fine for now.

I'd take a reading on how much # of freon is in your system with a cheap gauge from Wal-Mart and make sure the system just isn't low.

Although, since you say it does it when the defroster is on, I'm thinking it may be a leak in the evap. I'd go ahead and do the heater core while you're in it if that's the case.

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 02-12-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:15 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Yeah, that was my fear. I don't notice the noise while under the hood, sounds like it's coming from behind the dash. Gonna have to ride this one out for better weather. I've seen posts of these D's with the dash ripped out. Probably have to make a weekend project out of it. Ugh, that means I have to clean out the garage.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would just put up with it and fix it when it breaks........LOL

Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samnbensdad
Yeah, that was my fear. I don't notice the noise while under the hood, sounds like it's coming from behind the dash. Gonna have to ride this one out for better weather. I've seen posts of these D's with the dash ripped out. Probably have to make a weekend project out of it. Ugh, that means I have to clean out the garage.
But that also means you "have" to get new specialized tools to do the job.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Biff85ta
Professional

Sounds to me like one of the vacuum controls behind the dash is sticking. If the evap was leaking it wouldn't do it for long if you could here it because it would empty the system of freon fairly quickly. You have to remember when the system is off the pressure equalizes so if it was a leak on the low pressure side of things like the evap it would or at least should leak worse with the system off.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

I'll just ride it out until something gives. I just like to know what the next mission is so I can plan ahead. In the meantime, I'll just drop some cash on "necessities" like a Fastman TB, K&N drop in and a homebrew CAI. You think my wife will realize they have nothing to do with th A/C? "Honey, I'm doing the best I can. I was told these parts would fix it...". LOL

Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lol its worth a try, let us know if it works

Quick Reply: Hissing sound with A/C & defrost