3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil leak where the block meets the trans. Power train Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Bimmerdan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak where the block meets the trans. Power train Warranty?

Hi Everyone,
This weekend when I changed the oil in my truck I noticed that there is a small bit of oil on the bolts that matt the transmission to the motor

I cant see any oil leaks so I'm let to assume the rear main seal is leaking. Any ideas if this is covered under my power train? I have also noticed a rattle or knock coming from that area y the bell housing.
Any advice is appreciated and thanks!

BTW its a 4.7

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

IDK if it is covered but you should call the dealer and ask. Dont be scared to call more than one.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Bimmerdan

Called the 3 dealers in my area all of them say its not covered. So it looks like my truck may be sitting in the driveway for a while while I tear it apart

Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The water pump is covered under the lifetime warranty, not sure about the rear main seal.

According the the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty supplement for the 06,07,08 warranty info books

E) Covered parts

Gasoline engine : cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head assemblies, timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets, vibration damper, oil pump, water pump and housing, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel with starter gear ring, core plugs, valve covers, oil pan, turbocharger housing and internal parts , wastegate actuator, supercharger, serpentine belt tensioner, seals and gaskets for listed components only

Well the rear main seal is a block/oil pan seal and should be covered per Chrysler's own paper. it is document 81-016-8057 Gas Vehicles.

Last edited by lxman1; 05-25-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 AM
Xler8er
Rookie

Rear main seals.All the ones I have done been on Fords or Chevys and been on heavy truck 1 ton or bigger.The Rear main should be a two piece seal that sets in a groove in the block,and in the rear main cap.Once the cap is removed you can access the seal..the trick is removing the seal out of the block without slipping and putting a nick or gouge in the crank and have a much bigger problem than what you had before you started.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Bimmerdan

Originally Posted by lxman1
The water pump is covered under the lifetime warranty, not sure about the rear main seal.

According the the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty supplement for the 06,07,08 warranty info books

E) Covered parts

Gasoline engine : cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head assemblies, timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets, vibration damper, oil pump, water pump and housing, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel with starter gear ring, core plugs, valve covers, oil pan, turbocharger housing and internal parts , wastegate actuator, supercharger, serpentine belt tensioner, seals and gaskets for listed components only

Well the rear main seal is a block/oil pan seal and should be covered per Chrysler's own paper. it is document 81-016-8057 Gas Vehicles.
Thanks I forgot to even look in the glove box!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

IDK about a 4.7 but here is a picture of the 5.7 rear main seal. Old rear mains used to use a 2 piece rope style seal and I remember putting those in like Xler8er mentions but the newer ones are different and much easier now-a-days

Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Xler8er
Rookie

Hey thanks weed for the pic.I will remember that in case mine fails.Also thanks for the info on the manuals.thats some great info you have there!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just had my pinion seal replaced for free today under the lifetime powertrain warranty. Rear main seal should be covered as well.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
Just had my pinion seal replaced for free today under the lifetime powertrain warranty. Rear main seal should be covered as well.
I'm so jealous of you guys with the lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: Oil leak where the block meets the trans. Power train Warranty?