3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding power windows switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:21 PM
wingman7000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding power windows switch

Ok, so I am going to try to convert my manual windows/locks to power. I don't like those conversion kits because they look cheesy and I like the stock look. Anyway, I got a couple of parts to test before spending a fortune. I bought the driver's door wiring harness and switch off ebay to start out (about $60 total for both).

Today I tried my first experiment by plugging in the new harness and see if the switch gets power. I unplugged the existing harness from the front of the drivers door checked all the wires. They all look to be there coming from body of the truck so I plugged in the new harness with the master switch connected, but I'm not sure if was working. The indicator lights on the window switches never came on. I turned on the headlights and nothing. So now I have a few of questions:
  • Are the lights on the switches supposed to illuminate when the headlights are on?
  • Does it the motor need to be connected to a motor for the switches to illuminate?
  • Does the computer (PCM) need to allow for the switches to work?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:31 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The manual I have nearest is for a 2003, but it does show the current path for the built in LED to be through the motor, so yes.

However, you can cheat some. One of those "LED resistors" should do good enough to light the LEDs up and verify that yes, you have power there. Or some generic 12V of comparable horsepower. Or the power window motor itself ...

RwP

Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM
wingman7000
Rookie

Thank you RalphP. I'm going to have to find my tester light and try it that way.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 AM
wingman7000
Rookie
Default update

Ok, so here's an update...

I used a tester light and found that there is no power coming to the window switch from the connectors in the door hinge. The weird thing is that power does come to the power mirror switch which raises more questions:

1. Why would I get power to the mirrors but not the windows/locks?
  2. What does the junction connector do? It has two big white connectors attached to it will all of wires coming out of the top of them.
  3. Could I be missing a fuse or circuit breaker?
  4. Also, where is the power window circuit breaker? There is no fuse labeled for power windows and the diagrams show a circuit breaker. I've seen on here that fuse #2 or #31 can control the power windows, but my #31 says its a spare. I added a 25a fuse to 31 to test and got power to the fuse, but still not power to the wiring harness.
  5. Is the computer controlling the the windows or not? If so, can the computer be reconfigured to allow it?

Last edited by wingman7000; 05-18-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM
wingman7000
Rookie

Here is a small update... I have confirmed that the power mirrors work with the wire harness and switch. I bought the 6x9 mirrors, connected the harness and switch and instant success!!! Now to figure out those pesky windows/locks. Here is a pic of the new side mirrors

New 6x9 power mirrors installed!!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:20 AM
bchapin05
Professional

So you didn't really have to do anything just install the mirrors and plug in? OEM power mirrors? Where did you get and how much? I'm likely going to be doing something similar but was planning on trying an aftermarket kit for the windows. If it works great if it breaks its only 100 bucks so I'll just replace it.

I had an 06 Ram that was base in the past and did a cheap aftermarket power lock and keyless entry kit. It worked great.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:52 PM
wingman7000
Rookie

Originally Posted by bchapin05
So you didn't really have to do anything just install the mirrors and plug in?
That is correct, it was just plug-n-play for the mirrors. Again, I did have to purchase the OEM door wiring harness and switches, but I got them off ebay for about $30 each. You might could find one at local junk yard cheaper.

OEM power mirrors? Where did you get and how much?
Aftermarket. Got them off amazon.com for about $65 for the set. They are the Kool Vue SET-DG46ER.

I'm likely going to be doing something similar but was planning on trying an aftermarket kit for the windows. If it works great if it breaks its only 100 bucks so I'll just replace it.
I almost installed the aftermarket kit, but decided I didn't like the look of it. I had ordered the window kit, but the box came totally busted up with holes in it and I didn't trust it. I also want to keep things looking stock if possible.

I may be crazy for taking this on, but I can be stubborn especially when someone tells me it can't be done.

P.S. I'm also doing this slowly as to not break the bank and not end up with parts I can't use.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:49 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Nice thats not bad I may attempt the mirrors at some point. I can't remember which window kit brand I was looking at but I read a bunch on some other forums and people said it seemed to work well. And a bunch had it for a year or two and it was still working fine. Plus the Dakota has really light roll up windows so I think it would work fine. Just not look as good as what you are doing.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:51 PM
wingman7000
Rookie

Update: I bought a window regulator and motor and connected it but it was a no-go. No power to the motor. I need the correct dash wiring harness since mine does not have the circuit breaker on it, but any other suggestions?

Some people tell me that the FCM controls it, but I've read through all the manuals and the FCM seems to control all of the exterior lighting and what not. Not the windows/locks.

Can anyone help on that topic?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:38 PM
garryburrell
Rookie

If your truck is like mine the wires are there for the locks. I have just four wires in each door ,two for speaker and two for the locks. I don't have a key with the remote on it but I can get one at a lock smith and he will program it to the trucks or 100.00 I thank that is high. But what can I do. Is there anyone here that works at a dealer that can tell me how to do it for myself.

Quick Reply: Adding power windows switch