1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dodge 4.7 liter engine vs. 5.2 liter engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:14 AM
wjanine35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 4.7 liter engine vs. 5.2 liter engine

Comparing two Dodge Durangos for purchase. Both trucks made in 2000, both automatic. Both have clean titles no flood or major damage reported. One with a 4.7 liter engine (126,000 miles, 4WD) and one with a 5.2 engine (166,000, 2WD). Both trucks are somewhat comparable in features. However, the 5.2 liter engine has a loud guzzling sound as you start the car and upon acceleration. I asked the dealer if it was the muffler but he assured me it wasn't. He said it was characteristic of the engine size and that most earlier models make that sound. The 4.7 liter engine does not have that guzzling sound. It drives and sounds more like a car than some large work truck. Any feedback on why there's a different sound coming from the 5.2 compared to the 4.7 liter engine? Also, in general, is the 4.7 liter engine a better engine overall than the 5.2 liter engine? Afterall, Dodge replaced the 5.2 with the 4.7 back in 2000. Any help regarding the matter would be appreciated. By the way, the 5.2 liter engine, with the guzzling sound, is priced at $1750 and the 4.7 is priced at $1700. Are these reasonable prices??? Or am I being taken for a ride 🚙 in a Durango?

Old 11-06-2016, 08:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

4.7 is better, IMO. 5.2 will have plenum issues.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:42 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Unless you have a video of this guzzling sound I don't think you're going to get many answers on that. As far as reliability, if taken care of properly both engines will last a long time. I prefer the 5.2 over the 4.7 because it's simpler. I'd much rather have a 4WD vs a 2WD though.

Are there any other issues with them? Those prices seem pretty low to me.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

The 5.2 has better low end grunt, but the 4.7 is more powerful up in the higher RPMS. If you plan on towing a lot, I guess the 5.2 would be better, but I've towed cars with the 4.7 on a 4 wheel trailer with no issue.

Buy a truck with OEM tow package. That comes with a larger radiator, a large ATF cooler up front and even a cooler for the power steering.

PS. I'm nearing 300K with my 4.7L. Tranny is 545RFE and shifting perfect, which I think was helped by the cooler.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-06-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:59 PM
wjanine35

Originally Posted by that_guy
Unless you have a video of this guzzling sound I don't think you're going to get many answers on that. As far as reliability, if taken care of properly both engines will last a long time. I prefer the 5.2 over the 4.7 because it's simpler. I'd much rather have a 4WD vs a 2WD though.

There's minor cosmetic issues, and one needs a transmission flush with a gasket replacement (the 4.7 liter). But my neighborhood mechanic will do the routine maintenance for me and get all the fluids topped off. The dents and cosmetic damage can be easily fixed. But I'm going to check Edmonds True Value and Kelly Blue book on the value of the trucks. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:07 PM
wjanine35

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
The 5.2 has better low end grunt, but the 4.7 is more powerful up in the higher RPMS. If you plan on towing a lot, I guess the 5.2 would be better, but I've towed cars with the 4.7 on a 4 wheel trailer with no issue.

Buy a truck with OEM tow package. That comes with a larger radiator, a large ATF cooler up front and even a cooler for the power steering.

PS. I'm nearing 300K with my 4.7L. Tranny is 545RFE and shifting perfect, which I think was helped by the cooler.
I don't plan on towing anything. I just like the design and the price is in my budget. But I also want something that is reliable and will give me 3-4 years without any major problems. The 4.7 has less miles and an engine that rides like a car. Hopefully it will take me 300000 miles like yours. Thanks for the input. It really helps.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by wjanine35
There's minor cosmetic issues, and one needs a transmission flush with a gasket replacement (the 4.7 liter). But my neighborhood mechanic will do t he routine maintenance for me and get all the fluids topped off.
I would switch to this transmission pan (make sure it fits yours). It's only $36 bucks and has a drain plug, plus is a little deeper for extra capacity. Then you could drain the tranny every 25K without having to pull off the pan. Drilled mine and installed an aftermarket plug, but that was before I knew about this pan.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...ansmission+pan

Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
4.7 is better, IMO. 5.2 will have plenum issues.
Yeah, but those plenum issues are quite miner in the overall scheme of things. the 4.7s are not without issue!
the plenum thing being a known issue means you can anticipate it, you know it is coming. Besides the gaskets are cheap, (about $26 for the intake set) and the valve covers are another $23-ish. Add a thermostat "just because you are in there") and maybe a coolant temp sender (they all break due to age while doing this job, about $16-18 as I remember. so ~$100 and an afternoon's worth of work and good for another 60K or more miles.... my '01 went over 250K before the plenum issue showed up for the 1st time. so if it goes 60K before it does again that's 3 years for me.
No matter which one you get remember they are machines. machines need to be MAINTAINED to assure dependability. even those God awful Toyotas and Hon-duh's. they are machines too. and have maintenance that needs done.... You keep up on maintenance and no matter what you get it will last much longer.

Among your choices presented I'd rather have 4X4 and 5.2/5.9 over a 4.7 "any day of the week". so I'd expand my search parameters if I were you. they came with either a 5.2 or 5.9 til 99, 5.9 was still available til '03, 5.2 in Y2K only in a 2WD..... 4.7 came out in these trucks in '00.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:12 AM
wjanine35

Originally Posted by that_guy

Well I went with 4.7 engine. I had some routine maintenance done. But I did have a little trouble with the engine not cranking on the 1st or 2nd try. Had to work with it a few days to figure out the rhyme or reason to it. It would also power down and shut off after I started it. My mechanic said something about the throttle or fuel injection. Of course all of this this was AFTER I bought it.

But I have a personal mechanic and he tinkered with it and adjusted the engine somehow. Now I turn the key, but stop just before cranking, until I hear the fuel injection kick in. Then I turn the key all the way over and it starts just fine. He also adjusted the engine so that it stays on while in park and the meter on the dash hovers at 1 and the engine does not shut down. The person I bought the truck from says he recently had the fuel pump and starter replaced but my mechanic says there must still be a shortage somewhere between the ignition, starter, and fuel pump because the timing of all three systems is off.

Well now I just stutter before I turn the key over completely and it starts right up. It drivers like the love boat. Smooth and handles well. Like a car. I have never had a problem on the road and it has never NOT started or shut off at a traffic light.

Except for those initial adjustments, I can say that I am ready for the license plate or bumper sticker that says "I love my Durango!"

Thanks for your advice.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Starting issue is probably the check valve in the fuel pump.