2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My cat's rattling like marbles, can I just cut it?

Old 11-15-2016, 10:51 AM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My cat's rattling like marbles, can I just cut it?

98, 5.9, laramie, 4x4, ex cab, 245k-
Everything's still factory under there. No rust at all. Lucky I guess! But the muffler's prob even the factory one from 98.

Well, I bought it like this. Sounds like marbles bouncing everywhere when you crank it up. But after driving it for a lil while, it quiets down. No marbles really. Just a couple tiny pebbles here n there.

Can I just cut it right before the cat starts? Maybe cut it right after the cat ends? Possibly put an insert the same size, like a nipple or something, so to speak?

Theres no inspection here in this state. It doesn't have any check engine light on. Runs good. I'm sort of getting worried though that i'm pushing my luck the longer I wait to do something about it.
The marble sound is good and loud when you start the truck. The pebble sound is pretty quiet after its been running a few miles. I guess it does better once it's warmed up?
Thanks!!

Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Yup. You can just cut it out, and insert a piece of pipe. Clamp, or, preferably, weld it in. Call it a day.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:09 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a post cat o2 sensor it might throw a code. OBDII cars are more sensitive. My 95 dakota, I just ran a pipe in the exhaust and hollowed the cat out. No issues after that.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:17 PM
40intrepid
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you really have the stock exhaust at 245K?
Mine has the factory system at 145,000 miles, in Michigan where they salt roads in the winter.
Is it unusual for this trucks exhaust to last so long?

Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

I'm actually not sure 40intrepid, if this trucks exhaust is stock still. I know that this truck hasn't had any upgrades or mods, I wouldn't be surprised 1 bit though if the thing does have the same ol exhaust it started life with!

I know I'm taking that cat out in the next couple days and putting a pipe back in it's place. I figure if it throws a code, doesn't run right or I just dont like it, I can always get a new cc and have whoever weld it on for me.

I saw AZ had some insert pipe pieces for like 7 to 13 bucks!

Old 11-15-2016, 07:15 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpilot1

I saw AZ had some insert pipe pieces for like 7 to 13 bucks!
Post up a part number, if you can.

Check out the spark plug non-fouler trick for the O2 sensor.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:05 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Walker Exhaust Resonator

Part Number: 24443

This is one of the ones I saw today at the az here. But theres other ones I saw, and those were the ones I thought would work. I don't see em on the website. They were bigger at the ends, like just big enough to slip over the I.D. of the existing pipe on truck, then reduces ever so slightly, like after about 2 inches down, then the pipes were at 2" or 2 1/4 or 3", etc, for about 12 to 18 to 24" or so, until it got to the other end, where it got just big enough again to slip over where the other exhaust pipe started.

I got a feeling now that you're not going to like these though. When I go back tomorrow, I'll get those part #'s and a pic or 2 because they looked like they were perfect. But now, I don't know. We'll see once I get you the actual # and info and a pic or 2.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:57 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

The new magna flow cat kit is on. No more rocks rattling around at start up, Thank Goodness. Had to cut a little bit of the old one out because of a frozen bolt here and there.

But it's quiet now, sounds good enough and was only about 218 bucks(amazon) Thanks for the help too, all the opinions, and the expertise y'all!

Removed from truck. If you can see those volcano looking rock things, those were what was inside the cat.

Heres after the new one was installed:

This is from halfway down the truck, at the muffer, looking towards the engine.

I reused the o2 sensors, no codes yet. (knocking on some wood here!)

Muffler to the left, engine to the right(duh). That trans pan back there always has real lil pinkish/red drippies on it. ??? Needs a servicing maybe?

One more-

It's lot quieter without that banging from those lava rocks in the cat!

Now, can I buy a muffler and put it on without any welding as well?
Thx y'all.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Yep, put the muffler on same way you did the cat. Some clamps and adapters might be required......

I may have to come to SC to find my next truck..... yours looks REALLY clean under there.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

That frame is super-clean! Truck must have been kept indoors/garaged when not on the road.

Search this Thread