2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:42 PM
csembroski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump not starting

I've got a 1995 1500 with the 5.9 LDC motor. It hasn't run well since I bought it, but now it won't even start. Here's what I know so far:

I've tested both the ASD and Fuel Pump relays and they are fine. I've jumpered around the pump relay and can definitely hear the pump running. Using a meter I can see the PCM never grounds the control wire running to these relays.

I don't know the next steps to diagnose this?

Originally the contacts on the PCM connector were corroded, probably because the weatherstripping foam above it fell off a long time ago. I've tried a couple times clean the contacts. Back when it was running the check engine light flashed the code for the EGR valve, but now the check engine light doesn't come on at all.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Old 11-25-2016, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Sounds like a failed PCM...... Can you beg/borrow/rent a code reader, and see if the PCM will even communicate?

Welcome to DF!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:49 PM
csembroski

Thanks for the feedback. I've pinged all my neighbors to see if anyone has an OBD1, with no luck. Local parts stores want to sell me a $300 combination 1&2 scanner, which I'm not interested in doing. I'm thinking I'll verify power going to the PCM, then swap it out.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Look at the OBD connector, pins 1 and 2 should be marked. Use a paperclip, or something similar... to short the two terminals, turn the key to "On". (not start....) and the CEL will flash each code three times. Just count the blinks.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:31 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Look at the OBD connector, pins 1 and 2 should be marked. Use a paperclip, or something similar... to short the two terminals, turn the key to "On". (not start....) and the CEL will flash each code three times. Just count the blinks.
Cant you just turn the key on and off 3 times, and it will flash the codes? It's what I've been doing. Or are you shorting the terminals to override since the pcm is possibly dead?

Here's the link I've seen, gots the codes on it too.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 11-28-2016, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Christian Suhr
Cant you just turn the key on and off 3 times, and it will flash the codes? It's what I've been doing. Or are you shorting the terminals to override since the pcm is possibly dead?

Here's the link I've seen, gots the codes on it too.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm
Actually, yes, I do believe you can. (forgot about that, thanks. )

Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 PM
csembroski

I got a reconditioned PCM and am getting ready to try it out. Since this is a 1995, is there anything I need to do to re-learn any of the engine settings like the throttle position?

Also, can someone point me to where the "factory splices" are in the wiring? I've seen mention of it, but am not sure of their exact location.

TIA

Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Swap PCM's with the battery disconnected. Once everything is in place, hook the battery back up, turn the ignition to "on", not start... don't touch ANYTHING, count to ten, start the motor. PCM will re-initialized its various sensors/controls, and then it just needs to learn the engine. All ya gotta do is drive it.

There are a LOT of factory splices. They are all listed in the service manual, at the end of the electrical section.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 PM
csembroski

Winner winner chicken dinner! I replaced the PCM and it's running like a champ again. Thanks to @HeyYou for the correct advice! ($200 for the PCM after core returned)

I'm still not sure what a Factory Slice is supposed to look like. Is it just a connector, or is there more to it?

Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Usually a connector, sometimes, a ring terminal with a lot of wires going to it. (generally for the ground side of a circuit) There are also occasions where they just use the cheap 'fold over' splices. Those suck, and are pretty much guaranteed to fail... (and is why the trailer harnesses sometimes have issues....)