2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shifter at floor keeps popping out of 2wd into 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:10 PM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter at floor keeps popping out of 2wd into 4wd

I put that new exhaust on today. Magnaflow I think. The cat, pipes to the headers and the 1 pipe to the muffler. I had to move those 2 skinny lines out of the way and when I did they came undone from both sides. I put them back on when I was done(the right way).

So when I went to test drive, the floor shifter part popped out of 2H into N then 4L. That floor shifter goes 4L, N, 2H, 4H. I had it in 2H, usually always keep it in 2H, and it sort of just fell out of there and went into N and 4L. It feels looser than it used to also. It was never really locked in to me, but it never popped out of there!

I went back around the block to house, sat in driveway and when I'd put it in 2H while idling, it didn't really feel like it wanted to stay in. It kept just barely going into the 2H, like 2H dont really have a good "lock in spot" for it, if you know what I mean.

But it would go in 2H, but would like, want to "fall out" of there into N and/or 4L. Why does it not want to sit in 2H? Vacuum or something maybe? I break something somehow? Mess something up on accident? Thanks for anything y'all can think of. A lot!!

Old 12-04-2016, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Need to check the linkage, and be sure it is adjusted properly. Probably just a coincidence that it started misbehaving after playin' with the exhaust.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:34 AM
marcpilot1
Professional

Thx man! Heyyou, if those 2 skinny metal lines that transition into skinny rubber hoses at their ends, one side connects to 2 things at the transmission and the other end connects to 2 things up there near the back of the motor, like near the oil filter, if I had removed those to get the pass side pipe connected to the header over there, and then put them back, would they have needed time to do whatever their job is?

What i'm sayin is I think those 2 skinny metal tubes/lines that transition into rubber tubing and they got those little black rubber 90's at their ends, and they run together, those- are they a vac of some kind and might've needed more time to..."vacuum"?

I always put the column in N when I start truck and wait about 30 secs to go because someone told me it takes about that for the trans fluid to get out of the tc I think they said, and get everywhere in the trans it's supposed to be. So was thinking since i unhooked those 2 metal skinny vac lines, would they have needed lot of time to get back right?
Uhh. Sorry such long description of what I was tryin to say! I'm gettin better at asking w shorter questions, really am. Just cant tell with this one!

Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Does it happen with acceleration/torque load?... could be the transmission mount allowing too much movement?

Old 12-04-2016, 02:27 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Hi Spillage. "Does it happen with acceleration/torque load". Do you mean like while I'm driving, does it happen when I give it gas at like 20mph or 30, or more?

Yes sir, when I give little gas, I can feel a little pressure on the **** while holding it, like it might wanna move, but only a little bit of that. In other words it doesn't seem like it wants to "throw" it out of 2H. Not at a point like that yet, anyway. But, it's like it, Will, most definitely, pop out of 2H if you touch that selector, shifter, too hard.

I had the regular trans in neutral, on the column, when I was moving it around after I got back from the test drive from the cat install. I was just checking to see if it would sit in there any tighter if I did anything different(i don't know what you can do diff but...) but maybe I should've had it in park before shifting it around and "checking" it's behavior so to speak, and not in N while moving it.

It's always seemed a bit loose in there ever since I bought it. But it's never sat in 2H quite this loose.
It never fell out of 2H into anything before. And it will sit there but if I touch it just a little, it will want to leave it's 2H home and move to another state!

That's the only one that wants to move, too. I mean, it seems the other ones have no problem sittin in their positions.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is there any slop in the 4x4 shifter? If there is, that's probably a large part of the problem. Crawl under and wiggle things, see what ya got. Reading up on the adjustment procedure in the service manual wouldn't hurt either. Make sure THAT is correct.

The two vacuum lines are for the central axle disconnect, that **** feller on the passenger side front axle tube. There is a sliding collar in there, that the little vacuum motor moves to lock/unlock the front axle. You need that working properly if you want 4 wheel drive.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Ohhh! So the skinny lines are to a vacuum to make the axle's collar work, so that when you want 4wd, you don't have to get out and do nothing like lock hubs or wheels or whatever? That's why we never should have to get out of the truck to get 4wd anymore?
Seems pretty sweet, i guess, i'm sure theres prob some type of cons to go with that nice pro.

But that wouldn't have anything to do with the transfer of 2H to 4L or anything, I assume.

So first I need to find out if there's any play or "slop" in the 4wd shifter. If so, go from there, maybe needs an adjustment if there is any. Youre the man! Thx. All I got is the Haynes, no factory service manual. Those ok ya think?

It's dark now, i'll be all over this in the morning, appreciate all the info HeyYou.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can download a factory service manual for your truck from here.

Vacuum lines: Exactly. And yes, they can have some interesting problems. Like the steel lines rusting out.... or condensation forming in the lines during nice weather, that freezes when it gets cold, so your 4x4 doesn't work. (don't ask.) Among other fun issues...... But, for the most part, it's pretty reliable. (more so that a thermal solenoid that disengages when you drive thru deep snow.... leaving you stuck......)

Nope, the vacuum part won't have anything to do with popping out of gear.

Yep, have a look, see what ya think.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:23 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Got It! Finally! No more floor shifter popping out of its drives.

Only took about 10 or 15 tries! But it was worth it I guess. It's never been like this! Thanks HeyYou, I guess you were right, you said to go down and check for slop/looseness, see what ya got, then read the book, go from there. So I checked what Spillage said. It seemed like the trans mount was mostly tight(like good enough, wasn't perfect but seemed good enough). At that point, with no slop and everything intact, it was adjustment time. And it worked!

Sort of sucked though, set the floor shifter in 2H,(that wont stay in 2h, ever) crawl down under truck, lock the trunion thing down to the shift rod, go back up and check it, and then...nope! It's not right!
Go back down, loosen trunion things nut on the trunion things bolt, go back up and move floor shifter where you think is right for 2H, go back down under, tighten nut to trunion thing, go back up, check shifter, Nope! (even worse some of the times!) So, you gotta go back under, loosen nut, go back up, move shifter where you think is right, back under to tighten nut, back up, check shifter to see if right, Nope! Back under, loosen nut...........etc, etc!

You get the picture. I needed a helper! Would've "helped" havin a helper.
Appreciate y'alls help though, thx.
ps-you'll know right away when you got it right.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Coolness.

And yeah, a second set of hands is a godsend for some of these jobs...... I have been so low as to draft my grandaughter (she's 8.....) a few times. She actually enjoys coming out to the garage and playin' with grandpa. She likes to help me mow the yard too...... On the zero turn, that was interesting.