Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Intermittent Starting Problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 PM
stlengineer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Intermittent Starting Problems, please help!

video link:
I have a 2008 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3L engine that's having intermittent starting problems. The engine will crank but not start. If I try to crank the engine two times or so, the engine will then finally start on the 3rd try. This has been fairly repeatable. Seems to do this more when the engine is cold. This same no start condition hasn't happened when I turn off the engine after being warmed up and then restart the van.

On a different car, I had a very similar situation happen and on that car it was a problem with the fuel pump regulator, which I hear is buried in the fuel pump assembly on this vehicle.

Some additional details, in case it helps:
1) The van has about 115K miles
2) No MIL lights show up on the dash when this condition happens.
2) I believe I'm hearing the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to the on position.
2) I've been using e85 fuel since 109K miles.
3) To my knowledge the spark plugs haven't been replaced yet.
4) Car seems to be running fine once it gets started. Doesn't appear to be hesitating in anyway.
5) I confirmed last week that the 1 year old battery is still good by Autozone and it was fully charged at the time.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Remove the fuel line and hook up a pressure gauge turn the ignition key on and see if you have fuel pressure and take a fuel sample too. Is the check engine lamp on?