Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Fan speed not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 PM
joemel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan speed not working properly

I have a 2010 DJ, the fan speed selector dial is not working on the highest setting. There used to be a "sweet spot" where the fan would work on high, but that no longer works. All other positions work, except for the highest. Does anyone know if replacing the blower resistor would cure this, or am I in need of replacing the fan speed selector? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Try the resister first. Then the switch if that does not work.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:23 AM
joemel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jkeaton, thanks for replying. I did some trouble shooting before replacing any components. The following were my findings & may help others. (Do so at your own risk) The wiring to the resistor has a 4 prong connector for L, M1, M2, H & the wiring to the blower a 2 prong connector. Disconnected the blower, key on, grounding my test light I found the power terminal. I then jumped this power to the ground clip of my test light. Since this is a grounded circuit, I then checked each terminal of the resistor connector plug. Fan off, no power to any of the terminals, which is correct. Switch the fan to L, had light at Low terminal only, correct. Switch the fan to M1, had light at M1 terminal only, correct. Switch the fan to M2, had light at M2 terminal only, correct. Switch the fan to High, NO light at H terminal. Indicating there is no power going into the resistor to engage the blower. Removed center console, disconnected the plugs, removed the back off the switch assembly & discovered the copper contact at High position was worn. Cleaned with alcohol, brushed on layers of liquid rear defrost wire repair. Cleaned & slightly bent the tabs of the mating dial switch to make better contact, applied dielectric grease at contact points. Reassembled, now have voltage at the H terminal, and the fan is working on High. If there was power at all 4 terminals at the resistor wiring plug (at the proper fan settings), and the fan didn't correspond properly for a position, then it could have been the resistor.