2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gen light... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen light... Please help

Hi guys havent been on in a while. Im having problems and need help. Im a mechanic a diesel tech. So im not clueless however im having problems and was hoping for help. my 97 dodge ram 2500 gas truck Gen light came on. And i road around a few days. Eventually truck died. I popped hood and fixed a loose ground. Got a jump and fired up. Light kept coming on and truck would stall. Checked grounds seem good. Pulled battery and alternator took to autozone. Battery started fuzzing out everywhere when they tried to charge it. The alternator tested good. Bought a new battery popped it in with old alternator that tested good. Next day light comes back on. I pop hood. Check my battery cables and ground on fender. All is tight. The truck hasnt died because tge bwttery is brand new. Today my blinkers stopped working. My voltage on dash was either low or not showing. I turn truck off and pop start (norm takes a few minuted for light to reapear when i do this) this time light doesnt come back on and dash starts reading. 14 volts again and my blinkers start wotking. All other dash lights and gauges work.
Why is this happening???
every day my ride to work or home is russian roulette wondering if tge nrw battery will drain.
i havent put a meter on my alternator to see what it was kicking out fot volts but autozone tested it.
do i have another loose ground?
Is my computer bad?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Unfortunately, that sounds like a failing voltage regulator, which, as you guessed, is in the PCM. You can install an external regulator, there are YouTube videos for just such an occasion.... and solve it that way....... I *think* there is a way to do it that the PCM will see correct charging voltage, and leave the lights off, and make the gauge work. Or, you can replace the PCM, and call it a day.

Nice to see you again.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

Is there a way to check?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I recently replaced my alternator. It was floating between good and bad, light kept going on and off. O'Reilly tested it as good, but they tested it IN the truck. It tested good at first, then I drove off. Light popped back on and I had them test it again, this time they said the voltage regulator failed. So there I was, stressing out over the PCM. I finally pulled the alt out and had it tested at both Advance Auto and Autozone. It failed both of those tests. So I got a lifetime warranty unit from Advance and have been good ever since.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ing-issue.html

Old 12-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

How many miles on the truck? Did you check to make sure the tentioner is keeping the belt tight?

Old 12-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

199500 miles and its not stupid loose or anything (the belt) . I will check that out today.
im also going to put my meter on it.
im wondering if maybe the loose ground fried the computer

Old 12-09-2016, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The computer has a selection of grounds, so, it *shouldn't* be that much of an issue.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

I went out and started it. Put a meter on the battery while truck was running. Battery was at 11.7 and dropping. I put my meter on my alternator the positive to the battery cable on the alt. The black to grou d on alternator and it read like 10 volts. Does this mean my qlternator isnt working or the regulators bad???

Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

Also i had a spare serp belt so i changed it. Still no change

Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanical_Tree
I went out and started it. Put a meter on the battery while truck was running. Battery was at 11.7 and dropping. I put my meter on my alternator the positive to the battery cable on the alt. The black to grou d on alternator and it read like 10 volts. Does this mean my qlternator isnt working or the regulators bad???
Was the alt still connected to the battery when you tested the positive at the alt? Disconnect it from the alt, then check the alt again.

Sounds like the alt is not putting out (just like a high school cheerleader).